General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Speedomoter problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedomoter problem

So I was going down the highway after just picking up my trans am and I noticed I was doing 55. But I thought that couldn't be right because it felt like I was going much faster. So I call my friend up in the car in front of me and he says he's doing 70. So... the speedomoter is 15 mph/hr off.

So my question is... what could effect the speedomoter to be off that much? I've heard it could be the tires, that they could be too big. Is this what is wrong or is it somthing more serious?

And if anyone else has had this problem please share or turn me in the right direction.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That or someone swapped gears/rear end in it. If it has a 6 speed, it would have had 3.42's. If someone put 3.23's or 2.73's in it, your speedometer will read low (too lazy right now to do the math and figure ut which gearset it is, but when my '89 Formula had 2.73 speedo gears in it and a 3.42 rear end, I had to run about 90 (indicated) to run with 65-70 mph traffic).

How long have you had the car and has any work been done on it recently (new rear end, computer tuning, etc)?