Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tial 44mm Wastegate issue, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tial 44mm Wastegate issue, HELP!

SO if you followed my thread, I got tuned today for my new T76gts build on a stock bottom LS1, patriot LQ9 heads, and an AFR nitrous cam (don't ask).

Made some insane power before my fuel pump got maxxed out (652/627 letting off at ~5500rpms). One factor was that my boost was creeping to 10-11 psi even though I have a 8.7psi wategate spring....no boost controller.

How can this be? I thought I heard Rick say something about the camshaft profile, or exhaust being too efficient causing it..... but I couldn't really hear over my god damn car idleing (I could have heard wrong though).

Please offer any advice on why my tial 44mm wastegate with an 8.7psi spring isn't bleeding off boost over 8.7 psi.

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It could be plumbed wrong or damaged.crimped signal lines. Where are you drawing signal from? It there a top and bottom feed into the gate?... these lines are often necessary for the diaphram to work correct... If all else fails, remove the gate completely and see what PSI you get.... that can be a part of the trouble shooting process ... In the case of my CAS system, even with the gates removed I made a creeping 8 lbs..so it was system design there.. in your case, it should be easier...
Old 10-08-2006, 12:53 AM
9 Second Club

When we first started tuning it, I had the WG line hooked up to a fitting that was not vaccum, and Rick at Synergy stopped the dyno pull at 4k rpms because it was at 14psi and maxed out the 2 bar Then we moved it.............

There is a vaccum line that goes from my brake booster line--> my BOV. And there is a T about 8 inches from the BOV that runs to the WG.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem with my Tial 40 mm, except mine creeps up to 16 psi on a 10 psi spring.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:01 PM
9 Second Club

Bump for more help
Old 10-08-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats strange?what if the springs are label incorrect from tial?like a 8 is a 14?**** happens
Old 10-08-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I think those vac lines are the issue. I suggest you deo a little reseach there. I drive my BOV directly from the intake and often grab WG signal from the compressor or somewhere before the TB. Grabbing before or after the IC will have different results as most IC's create a pressure drop. I would not use a "t" with the bov and brakes. http://www.tialsport.com/documents/w..._wginstall.pdf

http://www.tialsport.com/documents/w...22tial%2044%22

Last edited by Jammer; 10-08-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

my gate 44mm has 2 nipples and the mechanic said there is no use for the top one so we use the side nipple but i still have the same problem as nintres! does my bov has vacume reference strait off the manifold! could his bov have to much spring no letting enough boost out?

his vaccum sourch is coming almost directly of the BOV like an inch away
bump
Old 10-08-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TondSS
my gate 44mm has 2 nipples and the mechanic said there is no use for the top one so we use the side nipple but i still have the same problem as nintres! does my bov has vacume reference strait off the manifold! could his bov have to much spring no letting enough boost out?

his vaccum sourch is coming almost directly of the BOV like an inch away
bump
The WG has two ports for a reason in my opinion, but its not necessary in all applications. The WG signal should come before the TB blade, not after live the BOV signal. The BOV has a spring too.. so alot of small issues can be at play. There are few that have enoguh experience that they know what to do off the bat, since each suystem is different it should require some trial and error.

In my rear mount system, I wasnt boosting high enough so I drove the backside of the diaphram with pressure from the turbo compressor..this push on the diaphram and helped keep the gate closed for more boost... but there was a vac line hooked to the underside of the gate , and that feed had the manual controoler in it..the manual controlled would modulate the amount of pressure allowed to fight the spring and pressure from the other pressure source. Take a moment and think how the gate works and you'll figure it out.

The spring is trying to keep the gate valve closed... the nipple behind the spring assists the spring, the nipple on the valve side helps fiht the spring.. a boost controller can modulate either side essentially. Not all systems work how the manufacturer suggests, but were dealing with physics here.

TondSS, you need to see if the top one is open to atmosphere too... and generally that oine is used primarily to help increase boost, of to better control creeping or peaking.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

found some cool threads for you to read sean~!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...be+boost+creep
Old 10-08-2006, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

here is my question in plain view!

here is a picture of my wastegate and what it looks likei found this picture after makeing the top one oooops!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

As I see it...
the line going to the lower nipple helps open the spring, as without that line, sometimes the spring will NEVER open..it needs the pressure to operate properly (while what i just typed is held tru, in my case, I saw some uncommon things I wont get into here).

The top nipple you have would usually be used if you needed to supply pressure to help the spring stay closed to increase boost levels. Many people dont use both nipples, but many people dont have, or think they have issues. Using both nipples can allow for better control if done properly. I still thin the schematic from Tial explain the hook-up well enough for most people.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Banned

I would think the boost creep is from the Wastegate not being big enough. Time to step it up to a 50-60mm.

Rick
Old 10-09-2006, 12:10 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
I would think the boost creep is from the Wastegate not being big enough. Time to step it up to a 50-60mm.

Rick
It just sucks because they are soooo expensive. The only one I could find was a 600+ dollar HKS

How come some people get away with a 44mm making 900+hp? Is it because of where mine is placed and how my crossover flows like mad right by it?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy

Rick
hahaha late night lurkn tight
Old 10-09-2006, 02:27 AM
9 Second Club

****... well I went with a Tial 44 and I am shooting for 900+
Old 10-09-2006, 06:46 AM
10 Second Club

I had the same problem with my Tial 40, swapping to a Turbosmart 48 Progate as we speak.

Large turbo, low boost= Need for a larger wastegate
Old 10-09-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Keep in mind a WG helps you make LESS power -- not more Its there to bleed off the exhaust flow so it doesn't spin the turbo. Making 900 is often easier than making 500 when it comes to sizing the wastegate.

Pressure on the bottom nipple tries to OPEN the gate. Pressure on the top nipple tries to CLOSE the gate. With a boost controller managing air pressure to the top nipple, you can hold the gate shut at a pressure HIGHER than the spring you have in the gate, since you have air pushing the gate shut in addition to the spring. Conversely if you hook up a pressurized feed to the bottom port, you'll effectively make the spring weaker and it'll open almost immediately. In the most simple setup, leave both nipples unhooked and you'll run on the spring alone. Hook up a pressure feed through a boost controller/valve to the TOP nipple, and you can boost OVER your normal WG-only level. Hook it up to the bottom, and you boost UNDER your normal WG-only level.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:44 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brains
Keep in mind a WG helps you make LESS power -- not more Its there to bleed off the exhaust flow so it doesn't spin the turbo. Making 900 is often easier than making 500 when it comes to sizing the wastegate.

Pressure on the bottom nipple tries to OPEN the gate. Pressure on the top nipple tries to CLOSE the gate. With a boost controller managing air pressure to the top nipple, you can hold the gate shut at a pressure HIGHER than the spring you have in the gate, since you have air pushing the gate shut in addition to the spring. Conversely if you hook up a pressurized feed to the bottom port, you'll effectively make the spring weaker and it'll open almost immediately. In the most simple setup, leave both nipples unhooked and you'll run on the spring alone. Hook up a pressure feed through a boost controller/valve to the TOP nipple, and you can boost OVER your normal WG-only level. Hook it up to the bottom, and you boost UNDER your normal WG-only level.
Nice! clears up my understanding... thanks!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Banned

I dont see how leaving the vac lines off the wastgate will help the gate do its job. Its designed to use the vac reference for boost and such.

The line was originally off Nintres's wastegate and it went well past its spring pressure. Then we hooked up the line in the correct spot and did alot better.

Rick

Quick Reply: Tial 44mm Wastegate issue, HELP!