Sponsored by:

Electrical Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:00 PM
svt
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electrical Question

ok, I had the motor temporarily wried to a toggle switch for ignition and a push button for start, this worked great. I spent many hours with the 2002 LS1 wiring diagram and in this forum, so far so good.

I am now trying to get the motor wired to the original harness that came with the 1969 camaro. This seemed very straight forward. I took the large purple wire and wried that to where I had the push button connected to the LS1 purple wire. I then tried to start it with the toggle switch still wired ( I always try and change one thing at a time). This also worked just as advertised.

Finally, I tried to wire the ignition to where I had the toggle switch. This is where it got interesting. I can hear the fuel pump come on like when I turn the ignition on but when I turn it to start the motor kicks over but does not start, when I release the key I hear the fuel pump come back on. So it appears to be losing power or has a lack of power to the system when I try to start it.

I have both electrical manuals (1969 and 2002) in hand and it seem like it should work.

By the diagrams, i'm essentially taking all the pink LS1 wires that should be wired to ignition and wiring them to the 1969 "resistance" wire which was formally wired to the coil + side. I understood this to mean that power will not be cut to the this wire when all juice goes to the starter (purple wire), thus the reason it was wired to the coil, or so I thought.

Any ideas?

EDIT:

ok, after looking more closely at the 69 diagram, there is a wire from the battery going straight to the old solenoid (for some reason i dont remeber this wire) and a wire going from the coil to the soleniod, I remember this wire, but I thought this was supply from the coil to the soleniod, but from the wiring diagram it actually looks the the soleniod under start condition will actually supply the coil. Now the question is how is the done on the LS1? Or in other words, where is the "hot in run and start" wire for the 69 in absence of the original starter solenoid?

Last edited by svt; 10-08-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:37 AM
svt
Staging Lane

I guess I could just wire both the purple and resistance wires to the "hot in runa nd start" that way there would be power in both conditions? What is everyone else doing? According to the 69 diagram it just doesn't look like there is a "hot in run and start" connection.

Any issues with wiring both the purple and resistance wires to the "hot in run and start" wires?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:39 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your factory setup used a resistance wire for the coil, but I am not sure if it was hot in both run and start. Sounds like you already found out that it is not hot in start. The wire that you mention coming from the starter solenoid to the coil was there to supply full power to the coil during cranking so the car would start easier. You CANNOT just run the purple and resistance wires to the hot in run and start wire since this would make the resistance wire backfeed the purple wire and the starter would run constantly. You could use a diode and a relay, but there is probably an easier way, I have never looked at first gen camaro wiring though. Let me take a look around before I tell you how to use a diode/relay.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:39 PM
svt
Staging Lane

thanks for the reply, yeah I didnt think that sounded like a good idea lol.

I have an open thread at a first gen website and they basically said that the resistance wire "should" be hot in run and start, so i took a voltmeter to it and carefuly checked for continuity and now it seems like it is hot in run and start but the ignition switch momentarily loses continuity switching from run to start and i think this was fine with the old sbc but the LS1 seems to not like this, thus the starting and stopping of the fuel pump, but why it doesn't come back on and run after the momentary loss in power I don't know.

So now I'm trying to see if its a bad ignition switch or if all first gens ignitions do this.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:11 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 69 Camaro does have the correct type of ignition switch contacts for what you are doing "hot in run and start" but you are connecting to the wrong place.

Forget the resistance wire, it won't work because of what it is (a resistance wire) and the wire that used to go to the "R" terminal of the solenoid is also of no use. Those were all specifically used for a distributor with points.

Go inside the car and take your pink to either the fuse panel (it has extra spade terminals labelled "IGN") or to the 14 gauge pink wire coming out of the ignition switch next to the steering column. Either of these are a good "hot in run and start" source.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 10-10-2006, 09:19 PM
svt
Staging Lane

cool, thanks Jonh for the info I will go give that it a try.

thanks again all for all the help

Quick Reply: Electrical Question