Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding engine and need help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding engine and need help.

Ok heres the situation I bought my car, 2001 M6 Black trans am w/30k miles, and now a week later I need a new engine for it. Apparently one of the lifters disintigrated (probably spelled wrong) and clogged the oil pump with metal so that it stopped working. So we took it to the dealer because it had no oil pressure but they continued to run the motor trying to fix it until it burned up the rest of the motor from running without any oil. So I need to start finding parts so I can get a guy I know to start rebuilding it. I would like to get something to make some more power while I have it apart. I thought about maybe getting some aftermarket heads, a T-rex v.2 cam, and maybe some higher compression pistons since I have to get new ones anyways. I am thinking I might only do the cam and instead get some stock pistons and heads and get a local shop to polish them. Now you have to remember I am way new to these cars since I only got to drive it for 2 days before I lost oil pressure. So my question is what would be some good stuff to get for her while it is torn apart. I am buying these parts instead of the stock stuff so It can't be too much more .(maybe a thousand extra to rebuild) Also were can I purchase stock engine internals since I will need to keep this as cheap as possible. My dad thinks I did it because I shifted gears at 5K rpms but most likely I broke it trying to burn out by dropping the clutch at 5k. So now I will have to pay for my stupidity. Thanks ahead of time for helping me find parts or giving suggestions for an engine rebuild.

P.S.- Also it is a DD so it can't be too radical if a setup. Also I plan on doing 4.10's (or greater), Nitto 555r's, and a 9" rear when the current one breaks.

Last edited by da boss; 10-09-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Teching In

anybody?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Doing a cam would be a great starting point. As far as higher compression pistons that would be expensive (at least $500) because all that is made for LS1's right now are forged pistons. You may end up having to buy pistons anyways however if the cylinder walls are too scatched to be honed. As far as heads go they are also a great mod but not necessary with a cam but a heads cam car will easily top 400rwhp even with a mild cam. Another thing to keep in mind with cams as big as the Trex is piston to valve clearance with milled heads so be sure to check on that. Do some searches within this forum and you will find a wealth of information.