Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 camaro horn relay upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 camaro horn relay upgrade

don't know if anyone has posted this before (couldn't find it anywhere), but i wanted to come up with an alternative to using the GM 1969 horn relay on my 69 camaro.
reasons-
it's price- $16-$40 at local parts stores(most don't stock it)
it's ugly
it's outdated

i haven't tried this yet, but i wanted to post how i think a Bosch style relay could take the GM's place. I'm planning to use a 40 amp relay. maybe someone has already done this,(I'm sure), and can let me know if I'm wrong on my schematic. i think i have it wired the correct way so the key buzzer will work properly.
thanks
chris p
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
69 CAMARO HORN RELAY.pdf (21.4 KB, 4540 views)
Old 10-11-2006, 02:10 AM
12 Second Club

Everything is corect except 87A
Unless you realize that 87a Is hot to 30 power untill you enrgize the relay. At that point 30 power goes to 87.

Im not shure how your key buzzer is wired.

and the ways that come to mind make me wonder why you would use 87A to activate it?

Also. you wnt the horn to work with the key off or on?
I would say to wire 86 to keyed power in case your horn wire (85) should get grounded somehow, (it happens) as a failsafe
then it would not go off when your away from the car ( a safelty feature)
then seperate 30 power directy to the batt

FYI 30 power in germany is always hot (anything thats batt power is numbered 30) =) I know... Useless info.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

Im not shure how your key buzzer is wired.
and the ways that come to mind make me wonder why you would use 87A to activate it?

ok, then how about i wire the key buzzer to hot at all times, then when a key is left in the ignition and a door is opened the buzzer will sound. not sure if you know, but the key buzzer is wired into the GM horn relay. trying to make it work but not really necessary in the end...

and i changed the hot to a switched hot, that was a slip up on my part.

check the new diagram.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
69 CAMARO HORN RELAY 2.pdf (22.9 KB, 634 views)
Old 10-11-2006, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Default Need more info on buzzer schematic

That looks betta
Woul you mind showing me a schematic of the key buzzer so I know whats cookin on the buzzer? id like somthing factory so i know how it origonaly functioned. I never bothered with one.

I need to know if the buzzer is triggered by a gnd or a hot fed up through the colum to the key switch.

either way the hot is going to need to be battery power not keyed.
Otherwise it wont buzz unless the key is on and that wont work right as you want it to buzz when the key is in the ing and in the off position.

Id think its allso hooked to the door switches to actually go off when key in ign in off pos and you open the door
Old 10-11-2006, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

i don't have the diagram for the key buzzer but, as far as i know, gm has always triggered door switches by grounding them.
door open-switch is grounded, door closed-switch is open

that is why i have attached the key buzzer to 'battery hot at all time' in my diagram.

and yes you are correct that the buzzer will only work when the driver side door is opened and the key is in the ignition.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

scratch going to hot with the buzzer wire. found out from someone that you will short the wire....causing bad things to happen.

thinking maybe to just use the GM relay and 'fahhget about it'
Old 10-11-2006, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

by the way, here is the horn relay schematic. looks like the key buzzer works off of grounding.

is there still a way to get this to work without the GM relay?
Attached Thumbnails 69 camaro horn relay upgrade-horn-relay-schematic.jpg  
Old 10-11-2006, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Ok so the wire going into the colum is a grounded path
They are using ground to switch it on and off instead of pos

EDIT:
ok I got a clue now.
when term 4 on the horn relay is grounded it completes the circut betweetn 4 and 1 wich in turn causes the electromagnet to pull the contact down and break the contact, wich breaks the mag feild and the contacts close again making the mag feild again this is what makes your buzzing sound

i believe its actually the very fast contact with the horn circut making the horns buzz No?

In any case your gonna need some kind of seperate buzzer when you dump the horn relay

If you decide this let me know and I will continue onwards =)

Last edited by MadSpeed; 10-12-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did that with my fans, just run constant power to the horn, and the ground through the relay. use a horn that has a built in "buzzer".
Old 10-13-2006, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

I went ahead and just used a new GM relay, but I'm curious, what does "use a horn that has a built in "buzzer", mean?
Old 10-13-2006, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

nevermind 67RSCamaroVette, i get what you are saying now...

if anyone wanted to to this horn relay mod, it seems that all you would have to do, (besides wiring in the bosch relay as in the pdf), is wire in any buzzer. connect pink/black to it and an all time positive lead. now when the key is in and the door is open the buzzer buzzes. i would definatly put the buzzer inside the car under the dash, not under the hood by the radiator! I don't understand why GM did that!
Old 10-14-2006, 02:10 AM
Launching!

IM USING A camaro bcm so it takes care of the horn and a chime instead of that ugly buzzer sound on a 69 camaro hehe so now if i leave my lights on or key is on then it goes ding ding ding .... lol

Quick Reply: 69 camaro horn relay upgrade