General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

deep water

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deep water

just drove through water that was deeper than i thought. My assumption is that water cut off the exhaust due to the cut out being to low. Air filter looked dry untill i pulled it out and the rain hit it. intake box and hose to MAF looked dry. Moter wouldn't turn over. Bat appeared. dead. I took the belt off so i could turn over the engine by hand easier. Tried to boost it off once i was on dry land. Spun about half a turn then stoped. I turned it over some more with a pull handle and tried it again. CLICK. Waited till bat charged some then it wanted to crank. Half a spin though. No Water in oil. Think i just need to charge the BAt and go at it, or take out all plugs and spin it my hand with every cylinder. Or would this be pointless considering it all appears dry. DONT want to leave my car parked where it is!!!
What's your two cents
Old 10-16-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the battery/connections first, if nothing else just to eliminate it as being the problem. If the air filter was dry doesn't sound like you hydrolocked it. I've driven in high water with my cutout open before - sounded like a damn motorboat but kept moving and never stalled. Sounds like you just got something wet. Dunno for sure...good luck with it.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your alt...dont forget it sits really low on these cars
Old 10-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

battery conection good. Alt wont stop a car from cranking. wonder what is wet and how long it will take to dry with it still raining? charge the bat and whirl it?????? take plugs out???