Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1991 Firebird battery drains

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Firebird battery drains

I bought a 1991 Firebird for my son to attend high school. A few days ago I had to go and jump him off at school. After making some minor adjustments to the battery connectors I noticed the positive cable was loose and the post was stripped. I replaced the battery.

Two days later his car was dead again, again, I tighten the positive cable snuggly, jumped off the car and was fine. Unfornately, a day or two later he had a small fender bender so, I have the car at home currenty dismantled. (fenders, bumper, etc..) and working daily to restore it. I attempted to start the car yesterday and again the car was dead. When I disconnected the battery I heard a relay clicking. I can't identify the part but it's located on the firewall, drivers side, near the windshield motor, with 2 connectors with each pin labeled A, B, C, etc.. the original manufacture label included the word GUIDE. I'm confident this problem started before the fender bender.

After disconnecting the battery, I placed my multimeter set to measure amps, (in series from the battery through the meter to the negative cable disconnected) and noticed 1.2 amps of current draw with the car off, key out of ignition, etc.., I'm curious if anyone can tell me what this component is and where might it be getting a ground from.

I also measured the output of the alternator during the running of the car and it measured 13.1 at the battery. I've seen diode trio's in alternators actually pass current while a vehicle is off, strange things like fans run,etc.. Any assistance would be appreciated. I'm going to start a second thread on another seperate problem I have when the car was purchased, no tach and no speedometer.

If anyone can refer a cheap online salvage yard with 3rd gen parts, I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Todd