View Full Version : Flaring Question

10-22-2006, 01:59 PM
I had a question about how you should flare, or basically roll the ends of your tubing for a better seal, so the silicone connectors don't blow off

but, is there a tool I can buy to do this? Or is it really just easier to weld a beed around it?

thanks guys

also, is there a guideline to this?

like <8psi, no real need
>8psi, have the rolled edges

10-22-2006, 02:04 PM
It depends on the clamp and how tight you have them. Bead-rolling the pipe is a common thing to do for safty of it never blowing off. As for bead rollers, if your just doing a few pipes i would find a place that could do it for you.

10-22-2006, 02:07 PM
i just welded a lip around my pipes, but im thinking a bead roller would work and look better.

10-22-2006, 03:17 PM
where do i get a bead roller? how much?

10-23-2006, 08:46 PM
so what kind of tool do i need?

10-23-2006, 09:43 PM
hairspray works great too :)

10-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Normally bead rollers are found on (as in a part of) tubing benders.. There are some that you can use an impact with, but they are more of a headache than a help. You can weld a bead around it, just make sure the weld is smooth and there are no boogers to snag the silicone and tear it..

10-24-2006, 02:55 PM
cool, thanks guys

10-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Go to a muffler shop, give them 10 bucks, have them beadroll the pipes. Done. Welding it too much of a PITA, in my opinion.