General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Noise Noise Noise! Going To Chuck My Car Off A Cliff!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Noise Noise Noise! Going To Chuck My Car Off A Cliff!!!

Ok...basically when I am driving and I'm at a stop, as I accelerate, there is a wierd rattling/grinding/tin can shaking and stattic noise in a blender combination comming from under my car somewhere. It's very strange because It will do it as I accelerate from a stop. And also when I am driving and comming TO a stop...its as if whatever is rattling so much, moves when I accelerate and then stop (so when I accelorate, it forces whatever it is to move away from whatever its vibrating against, and then when i come to a stop, it forces it back against something and vibrates) Also I notice it does it alot when I am turning around corners and giving gas at the same time. Because it makes the noise when I give it gas, that has to be one of the multy causes. VERY strange and I CANT FIND IT! I got under my car and hit a bunch of stuff and couldnt find anything rattling! HELP!?!?!? I dont think its the exhaust but then again I could be wrong. Could it have something to do with power steering? etc....
Also I can feel a sort of vibration under the gas peddle my foot is on when the rattling noise happens, so strange....please help...

Last edited by Camaro98; 10-22-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to say without hearing it myself, but it sounds like you could have some drivetrain issues. Sometimes rear-ends that are going bad can sound like this. I don't want to scare you, as it is hard to diagnose these things from a computer. Take it to a good shop if you can't figure it out, and keep an eye on it.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea I have no idea its really wierd because I thought maybe something like that but if it is the drivetrain why would it make noise when im turning? I think something in the exhaust system might be rattling who knows...I cant figure it out...and I dont know how to get someone from a dealership to find it if you have to be under the car while its driving to hear it lol.....since it only does it while im accelerating...
Old 10-23-2006, 02:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is not the exhaust then my guess would be mounts, be it motor or tranny or a combo of both.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro98
yea I have no idea its really wierd because I thought maybe something like that but if it is the drivetrain why would it make noise when im turning?
The rear end is designed to allow one wheel to turn faster than the other when you are making a turn. This keeps you from getting wheel hop around turns. Can't be sure if this is what you have wrong, but many times a bad rear end will make noise when you are turning under acceleration. Check out the Gears section:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=noise+turning

Try putting the rear of the car on jack stands and turning the driveshaft by hand. See if you can pinpoint the noise in the rearend or tranny mount. Good luck

Last edited by JohnnyC; 10-23-2006 at 03:28 PM.