General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Throttle Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Throttle Position Sensor

Do you think it could be the problem?...

For some reason, the pedal sticks so the car keeps going (like cruise control) till I step on the gas real quick to make it release. It does not stick when the car is off, and it sticks whith the car RUNNING and the throttle cable off. So, It has to be the TPS Right?

Any thoughts?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do not drive the car anymore until you get this resolved.....id start with that, if that has no effect....check the little bosch unit cruise/throttle control on the passenger side of the car...ull see the cables running to it and youll notice that if the little gears arent working right the throttle will not close or open and your cruise will not work either....check back
Old 10-25-2006, 12:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I am not driving it.. It started doing it the other day and its back in the garage

It does not do it with the car off. So, that tells me its electronic??

It still does it with the car running, even when I take the throttle cable off (give it gas by hand from under the hood). So, with the cable unattached, the throttle still sticks. So, that would lead me to think, SOMEHOW, the sensor is causing it to hang up (only thing left). I did take it apart and look at it, nothing noticable wrong, put it back together and it still sticks. I just dont see how a TPS can cause the TB to stick???

How much do the TPS cost?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
No, I am not driving it.. It started doing it the other day and its back in the garage

It does not do it with the car off. So, that tells me its electronic??

It still does it with the car running, even when I take the throttle cable off (give it gas by hand from under the hood). So, with the cable unattached, the throttle still sticks. So, that would lead me to think, SOMEHOW, the sensor is causing it to hang up (only thing left). I did take it apart and look at it, nothing noticable wrong, put it back together and it still sticks. I just dont see how a TPS can cause the TB to stick???

How much do the TPS cost?
Me either, I would be shocked if the TPS was actually holding the throttle blade open. The throttle blade or housing must be bent or warped. It doesn't do it though if the engine is off? very strange
Old 10-25-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure exactly on the cost but that sounds like thats it.....give it a try and check back