Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put magnaflow metallic cats on my car and not much change in loudness, whats next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put magnaflow metallic cats on my car and not much change in loudness, whats next?

I had the cats(high flowing metallic spun cats from magnaflow) put on the car today and it didn't change the sound level, but did take away the raspy sound. The car has LT's, catted-y now and SLP Loudmouth cat-back. I am trying to decide between just putting on a hooker or dynomax Ultra-Flo welded muffler and leaving the SLP resonator in place or scraping the SLP cat-back for a Hooker catback or SLP Dual-Dual.
My main concern is quiet. The current setup is still way to loud for me. I want to get as close to sounding stock without sacrificing to much power, if this is possible. Think of me as the grouchy old man down the street that is getting mad because you leave in the middle of the night and wake him up....thats me, just with the car.
Need some opinions and cost is also a factor.
If I just get the hooker/dynomax muffler put on it would be about $90 for the muffler plus about $80 for install.
I was also thinking about borla XR-1's added to the system behaind the axle, but not sure they would be quiet enough.
Does hooker or dynomax out perform the other in cfm by alot or are they comparable?
I need to do this quickly so I have to make a decision.
Thanks for any comments or experience, James.

Last edited by TAsumday; 10-28-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Teching In

is ATX amarillo? If so how much would you charge me for it? Has it been welded at all?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Hu...my Creramic Hi flow cats KILLED my loudness. It sounded really nice though.

Wanna buy mu Hooker catback w/cutout?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a big of rasp from my longtubes/ORY and borla open u wonder if it would quiet it to.. I want to lose no performance almost
Old 10-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Teching In

I have decided to go between putting on the hooker aerochamber muffler(unknown flow rate) or the dynomax super-turbo muffler (unknown cfm). Which is louder and which flows better between the two?
Thanks, James.

Also, Gun5....I couldn't understand what you wrote, a little more punctuation please
Old 10-29-2006, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, the high flow metallic-core cats won't quiet it down all that much, as they flow really well, a lot better than most ceramic core cats... Like you said they should eliminate the rasp though.

From what you posted I would recommend just going with a catback like Magnaflow or Hooker if you're looking for a reasonable/low sound level inside the car. Sounds like you have a certain tone/loudness in mind and are trying to get there - Loudmouth will definately be too loud with LTs if you are looking for a refined sound, not so much so with stock manifolds/cats. I don't have any experience to offer with the Hooker aerochamber or Dynomax setups...

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 10-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice. I have researched some more and I think I am just going to put a dynomax super turbo on it to get it as quiet as possible for right now. Later on I will probably go true duals or something, but right now cost and quiet are the major factors.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought my Hooker Aero muffler for $79 shipped to my door off a vendor on Ebay. I replaced my Corsa and could not be happier. Very civil sound but still is mean at WOT. I am currently running the Magnaflow Ceramic cats but have blown one out at the track last week. They cut down on the sound more as they have more cell density over the metallics. They don't flow as good though.

Go Hooker. Great quality and sound for a darn good price. Flows very well to boot. I would say you would not gain more than 5rwhp with an open cutout over the Hooker.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking to quiet it down, the slp dual dual muffler is the quietest and highest flowing muffler out there. They don't make that catback anymore, but I'm sure there are plenty of used ones for sale.

Gary