Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question about parasitic loss with centrifugal sc

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about parasitic loss with centrifugal sc

Wondering about something. How much horsepower does it take to drive the average small centrifugal sc that is capable of maybe 450 or 500 hp? Thanks.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Teching In

I was looking at driving one with an electric motor and the best I could find was with a paxton industrial blower air knife (you cand find them on the web)
aprox. 20 hp will make about 3.3 psi at about 900 cfm. I did some exp. on my owen and with a powerdine blower. riged and I do mean riged up with 3 electric motors 2 5hp 1 3hp I could spin it up to aprox 18k rpm and make about 6 psi. that was with the outlet choked down I have no idea obout the cfm.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm thinking of doing, although probably in a much different application than you had in mind. I'm thinking of building my own frame and powering it with a small supercharged engine. Probably a 4 cylinder from a car, because of the easy availability of transaxles. Maybe a bike engine if I can find a way to connect it in a rear wheel drive configuration.
The reason I am thinking of driving it electrically is because I can vary the speed of the motor independently of the speed of the engine, which would give me the ability to have a fully customizable boost curve.
Now, once I figure out for sure which engine I'll be using, I'll just need to find out its air consumption rates so I can know how many cfm I'll need to reach a given power level, which will let me know what size motor I'll need.
Since it's custom, I guess I could modify a v6 blower with it's own mount. It might even be easier, since I could use the existing intake. I'd just rather have the efficiency of the centrifugal, since I'll be trying to make a high hp/liter ratio and don't really need to add anything that would detract from it's potential or reliability. It'll be near the ragged edge anyhow. Turbos are out, because I don't need boost coming on suddenly in a curve.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Run an inline 6 cylinder with a blower.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Teching In

I just found this.

http://auto.indiatimes.com/articlesh...,prtpage-1.cms

To get to the part that applies here, you have to get past the pro-turbo theme of the article. Nothing wrong with that, it just doesn't relate to this thread. He gets into some math formulae that can answer quite a few questions. If you can force yourself to use them, that is.

Last edited by gasnmyveins; 11-05-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brad8266
Run an inline 6 cylinder with a blower.
If it can be had cheaply, I might be talked into a blown V6. I could save a lot of space that way, and it would come from the factory already set up for a blower. Maybe a few upgrades to get to my power goals..... I just wonder what they weigh. The whole idea of this is to keep the weight as low as I possibly can.

Quick Reply: Question about parasitic loss with centrifugal sc