LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

wire router

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wire router

when i did my plug wires, there was a metal retainer for keeping the #7 wire from hitting the manifold.it runs between the flange and block. the wire runs through it, and when i pulled the old wire out, it had that plastic bumpy wire cover on it. well when i put the new wires on i just put the wire through it. should i have put that plastic wrap on the wire when routing it through it?

anyone have that on their block? it has a space on the top of it to slide the wire into it.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

I had them retaining plates, I took them off, they are on both sides. I let the wires hang. I have Headers though, so I have a little more clearance for the wires. That plastic stuff soaks up a little heat, it protects them. If you can get it on, go for it.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

well my #8 is hanging way away from the manifold on the pass side, so i dont think i need to use the router on that side. its kinda on the K member. i have 4,6,and 8 on a 3 way loom and they are hanging on the freon tube for the AC. the drivers side #7, do i really need the wrap? or will it be ok being in the keeper bare?

Originally Posted by the_merv
I had them retaining plates, I took them off, they are on both sides. I let the wires hang. I have Headers though, so I have a little more clearance for the wires. That plastic stuff soaks up a little heat, it protects them. If you can get it on, go for it.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Just make sure everything is clear of the Manifolds, or you will have some problems. They will melt right to them, and mis-fire in no time when they do that.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

bleh, changing out the lightning show that was my original wires was the first thing I think I did on my 96. I ditched the metal guides and went over the valve covers and down around shorty headers at that time...
Old 11-05-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

well nothing is near the manifolds so im good. i was just curious about thoes routers.

hyper, my old wires were 13 years old, and all 8 were lightning. including the coil wire
Old 11-05-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha.. damn, mine only had one or two that ware arcing but, all were pretty crispy looking and needed replacement. I thought that guide thing was wacky being so hard to get at and all. It had to go.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

i got pictures of the old wires

boots came off with little or no pressure

heres he coil wire the little conductor that goes into the coil came out completely. and the coil was fairly new.

Last edited by Revelation Z28; 11-05-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Sweet, light show..
I just got new wires on mine. I wish I had one of the Valve-Cover Kits, I have a nice set of Factory LT4 Red Wires.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oohh red My car is red! lol

I'd say the ONLY thing worth having the wire loom (the plastic you're talking about) is that it makes air between everything. Air is a great heat dissapator, or was it insulator LOL Either way, the air between the loom and the wire would help it stay cooler, or if the passage is metal then it'll prevent arcing. Not that it may have with your previous LOL
Old 11-05-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Veteran

well its a long metal passage for the wire. would it arc even if the wire is new?

i want to see if having the bare wire running along it when the metal is hot since its right next to the manifold. if so im gonna get some of the plastic for it.

my other wires are "laying" on the freeon line, and the K member. so i dont think it would arc from that metal retainer.

are thoes thin plastic flexible things called looms?

Originally Posted by Formula350
oohh red My car is red! lol

I'd say the ONLY thing worth having the wire loom (the plastic you're talking about) is that it makes air between everything. Air is a great heat dissapator, or was it insulator LOL Either way, the air between the loom and the wire would help it stay cooler, or if the passage is metal then it'll prevent arcing. Not that it may have with your previous LOL

Quick Reply: wire router