General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

wierd clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wierd clunk

I have been hearing a very wierd clunk that seems to be coming from the right rear portion of the car when going over a bump(speed bumps, big pot holes ect.) at relativly low speeds. I am hoping that it is not the rear end, because I took it apart because my eaton blew up about 5000 miles ago, so I put a detroit tru trac in. The vehicle has about 112,000 miles on it. The shocks have never been changed( I am thinking the clunk could be from a bad shock?) Just wanting some opinions.

Also when I do replace the shocks what is everyone saying abou the tokicos?

Thanks all.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the rubber shock mount itself could be shot or missing all together. Either way with that kind of mileage those rear shocks most definatley need to be changed. While your under there you can make sure everything is tight and see what else might need some attention. I'll bet you find your clunk.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Still have your spare in the car?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

I'm willing to bet is the spare tire thats loose, if not most definately change the shocks in the rear. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Ya i have not checked the spare yet, but the last time I put the spare back in I thought i tightened it down well. Wouldnt hurt to check. But i definetly am changing the shocks, thinking about going with the tocikos. I am just hoping it has nothing to do with the rear end internally. Thanks for the help, ill check the spare tomarrow and tell you guys what I find.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I had some clunking in the front and the rear before.. The front was due to a bad shock/strut, I changed it out and it was gone. On the rear, it ended up being my LCA bolt (the one that bolts to the rear end) was loose.
So, I would re-check some bolts back there, if cool, then change out your shocks.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. I havent checked the lca bolts since they were put in, a year ago. I get the car back from the shop tomarrow(Some jack *** broke into my car and messed up my column ) so when i get it back tomarrow I will go over everything.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

So I know its has been a while since I addressed this problem, but I did my clutch about 2 weeks ago, and while under the car I saw the torque arm bolts connecting to the rear end were loose. So I tightened them up. Then I checked my spare and it was a little loose also. The noise has gone so I am happy. I cant believe how loose those bolts were on the t/a though. I problably need to check those more often now.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kick ***...