Sponsored by:

Question On ls2 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question On ls2 Swap

Hello,

I am getting ready to order my ls2 crate motor to swap into my 89 lx mustang. I will be using a TKO-600 and have been told the Chevy Monza bell housing will work for this. This bell housing uses a SBC bolt pattern which I think is missing 1 bolt hole which I can easily drill. My question is starter related, since this is a SBC bellhousing will there be problems with the starter mounting or should it work ok. Any advice would be helpful...

Thanks
Old 11-10-2006, 10:24 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do NOT drill the missing hole. There is one hole missing in the block (I think it is considered the 1 o`clock position) and the hole was eliminated for a reason. If you try to drill the block you will hit the piston. I don`t know for a fact that anyone has used that particular bellhousing, but there are probably people who have. I would not think there would be any starter problems since the started bolts to the motor and if worst came to worst you could cut and reinforce the bellhousing if there was an interference problem.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:33 AM
Teching In

Thanks. That was about the only thing I could think of I had not done any research on and just wanted to make sure since this project is going to be quit expensive and making a stupid mistake because of lack of info would be unacceptable considering the wealth of knowledge on this board.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say Monza bellhousing do you mean a scattershield designed to fit a Monza? The LS2 in an LX is going to be quick enough you will probably need that safety equipment to run it at the track. Also a good idea for your own safety. Something to check.

Pat
Old 11-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Teching In

I think its rated as a scattershield SFI?? Maybe.. I hope so cause I have heard bad things happen when a clutch explodes and I'm quite fond of my feet and car.
Thanks for the input I am going to check on this to make sure..
Old 11-11-2006, 11:43 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should also do a search on the crank flange depth, or extended pilot. The TKO and scattershield is probably made for the old depth. I think that all you would need is an extended pilot bearing, but I`ve never really paid attention to all the stick trans details. Heres a couple links to get you started. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...extended+pilot
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...9&page=1&pp=20
Old 11-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Good info, I had no idea they were different. Its things like that that can really mess up your swap day. MUCH appreciated. I have never attempted a swap like this and know there will be problems to deal with but hopefully I can get info like this and it will go fairly smooth. Thanks again..

Quick Reply: Question On ls2 Swap