Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb question on cams...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb question on cams...

So im a newb but im only 16 so im trying to learn as much as possible.. i know that the LS1 is an OHV engine and when you guys speak of cams, do you mean camshafts/lifters? also what are the specs and what do they mean? i have been so confused on this concept and anything you guys can show me or explain to me would help alot.. thanks - Zack
Old 11-11-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with a search. There is so much info, but you should try to just read what you can. Have you seen this? Chances are that most questions have allready been answered, not all Anyway search is your friend, and someone will probably pop in and answer your question.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/213148-jrp-s-faq-commonly-asked-questions.html
Old 11-11-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks alot man, i appreciate it!
Old 11-11-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey your in right spot and everyone will prob give you hell bout the search button but you dont always find what your looking for. But heres a website that can teach you a few things.http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...in/0504sc_cam/
Im only 18 and i have learned quite a bit on here.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

the search button should be the first thing you should think about if/when you have any questions about anything. other then the search button, there are always stickies at the top of every section. there is so much valueable information that comes from those stickies, so please use em. like bjamick said, alot of people on here will give you hell about the search button, but dont let em get to ya. hope any of this helps.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1_K1DD
Thanks alot man, i appreciate it!
No problem, you're welcome.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Banned

In each forum read the stickies.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

232/234

232= Duration of the valve being open on the intake side

234=Duration of the valve being open on the exhuast side

Higher Duration the more your gonna have to spin the motor higher in the RPM range to get maximum power. The higher your duration the more the cam is gonna lope. The Higher durated cams make more hp, but ultimately do more wear and tear on a motor.

232/234 .595 .598

.595=Amount of lift on the intake valve

.598=Amount of lift on the exhaust valve

The higher your lift the more air flow, which is ultimately dependent on your cylinder head port volume(how much air flows through the exhaust and intake ports). When refering to cylinder heads people talk about "295 cfm at .600" You have to find a cam to will match that lift so you can achieve the highest air flow. More airflow=more hp.
Remember your motor is like a giant air pump the more air in, the more air out, the more power is being produced. Also rember the smaller "cc" the combustion chamber the more compression your gonna get, the more compression you get the more effcient the explosion of air/fuel is gonna be, resulting in more hp.

232/234 .595 .598 112+2

112= is the LSA or "Lobe seperation Angle" the lower the angle the faster you will meet your power band. Also the lower the angle the more "lope" sound you will get from the exhaust note.

+2= Refers to your intake centerline, a 112+2 is basically a 110 degree intake centerline, or the cam's centerline, this is measured after the crank is Top dead centerline.

The Cam I just described is Texas Speed and Performance's Torquer V.2 Cam, which is a fantastic choice for street/strip.

Also it is CRUTIAL to have supporting modifications when doing cam jobs such as injectors(not always needed), intake, headers, etc.

Hope I helped.