LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

rocker arms rubbing retainers

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rocker arms rubbing retainers

I apolgize if this has been asked before, may be a long post to explain problem. I purchased a rebuilt lt1 with iron heads and an lt4 intake, 1.6rr, lt4 hot cam. I changed the heads with a set of mildly ported aluminum heads i bought but i used the 1.6rr that came on the iron heads (I also used a ported intake mainfold for a lt1) now the rocker arms are rubbing on the spring retainers, i am not sure of the brand of rocker arms they have a chevy symbol on them and a 1.6 stamp(i tried to attach a picture not sure if it worked). So the questions I have are 1. would the push rods be a diffrent length for the orignal setup on the motor(lt4 intake, iron heads)compaired to regular lt1 heads,and intake 2. are the valve stems a diffrent length(for iron heads compaired to aluminum heads mostly the clearance above the springs)(i don't have car at home it is in a shop so i can't go and look at the diffrence on the heads)3.are there diffrent valve retainers that would give more clearance for the rocker arms, or mabye diffrent valve stem locks( i don't know what the diffrence is between 7degree and 10 degree locks) sorry for the long post but any help would be nice
Old 11-13-2006, 03:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sound like someone made an LT4 motor, but why they'd use the cast iron heads is beyond me. The rockers are chevy rockers, which is why they have the bowtie on them. No idea why they're rubbing except the springs on your alu heads might be really big for high lift cams. I really chimed in to say, I would've stuck with the LT4 intake. Since it's an upgraded version of the LT1.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem: The rocker self aligning guide is hitting the retainer.
Cause: The valves were changed on the aluminium heads to ones with shorter grove to tip distance.
Solutions: Change to self aligning rockers or use -0.05" locks and check your springs installed height.

Quick Reply: rocker arms rubbing retainers