General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Subframe and oil pan damage(kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Subframe and oil pan damage(kinda long)

Guess this is a good place to put this. So I was driving home yesterday on the interstate. I'm only doing 40 because of a conjested area. I'm in the left lane, cars on right and jersey barrier on left. In the distance I see something black in the center of my lane. I cannot move right or left so I thought I could just clear over it. Holy crap was I wrong. There was this loud thud, then multiple bangs. I could feel it on my feet. Someones tow hitch had fallen off. (Just the male end). So I pull off the nearest exit to check it out. I'm super pissed now, hoping nothing serious happend. As I'm getting out of my car here comes a minivan and Celica behind it. The van had a R/R flat and the Celica got it in the hood and windshield. So I jacked my car up and found a big-*** hole in my subframe and nice gouge in the oil pan. So we call the police and they make the report. I asked them if the DOT will pay and he said probably not. F@$K!!
So today I called the insurance and then got an estimate from a collision center $1600 for parts and labor. Keep in mind I'm in Alexandria, VA, so everything is a ripoff. And my insurance will probably go up because they said it is "unfavorable" towards me. I guess it was all MY fault. Not sure why we even pay for insurance. RRRRRRRRR Plus a $500 deductable hurts at the wallet.
Oh and my insurance wants the collision place to use a used subframe becuase its cheaper, isnt that some real crap.
Does this sound like a reasonable price?
I really needed a place to vent. Thanks
I have pics, they are just too big. anyone care to help with that?
Old 11-13-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into just getting an aftermarket tubular K member depending on how much the factory one is.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

that sucks man. but make them buy a new subframe. i had a similar problem. i had my car in the shop for a tune up. I got an oil change too. The a couple months later i am on my way out of town and stop at walmart :/ to get an oil change quickly. They tell me my oil plug is stripped. So im pissed... I got home and then start to take my car to a shop and realize about 3 quarts of oil is sitting in my driveway. So i drive back to walmart and blame them, saying they tightened it when they should have loosened it. They then direct me to the door and say get an estimate and come back. I got the estimate and then come to find out walmart wont fix it b.c they didnt do the last oil change. They blamed it on the other shop. When clearly they messed up. So it take it back to the other shop and they blame it on walmart.

So i bought a big drain plug kit and its good as new.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Teching In

i think i would fix it myself (less than 500, plus your insurance getting jacked up) and then inform them i was going to another company. if you are military look into USAA insurance. excellent company.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Default I'm leaving it alone

So I decided to just let it be. It will end up costing me in the long run than what its atually worth. I think I'm just going to weld a patch over it and leave the oil pan alone. There is still an investigation with the Maryland DOT. We'll see how that goes.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

wow thats crazy, see about getting the parts yourself and then having a shop fix it or something like that. Insurance is a scam always has been and always will be. I live in florida where it's now impossible to get homeowners insurance thanks to hurricanes, but everybody and their mother will give auto insurance.