General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

coolant leak update

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coolant leak update

just finished cleaning up the mess from putting new gaskets in. i filled the radiator up but there's still lots of coolant in the bucket i drained it in. also not getting any heat from the heater.

here's what i found today. one of the seals was competly missing as seen in the pic causing it to leak from the circled bolt area.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed those gaskets at 48,000 miles on my 2002 Z28, put a water pump in it at 65,000 miles (it seemed like the weep hole was leaking, but it might have just been gaskets again). Now, I think I'm starting to smell a bit of coolant again (which is what caused the last two changes) at 81,000 miles. I suspect I'll have my waterpump off again soon (if I can verify a leak).

They upgraded those gaskets to a bonded design where the seal doesn't just sit inside the metal, it's now rolled over it (in a C shape) and secured to the aluminum. I was hoping those would be more durable. I'm not convinced yet.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

That looks familiar. I have 45K miles and have noticed coolant on my AC compressor, tie rod, and some around the front perimiter of the oil pan. It's doesn't appear to the hoses, thermostat, or radiator, so I guess I'll need to check the pump.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea that doesnt help when its not sealed.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

Exact same thing happened to me a few months ago. Smelled antifreeze after driving car. Looked under it and found it leaking where the pump bolts up to the block. Ordered new water pump gaskets from Advance. Removed pump cleaned gasket surfaces and bolted pump back on. Hasn't leaked a drop since. One thing I noticed when I had my water pump off was there was no weep hole on the bottom of the pump behind the pulley. Guy at the parts store said I was crazy not replacing it when I had it off. Oh well, I saved a little money just replacing the gaskets and it fixed the leak. The car had 84,000 miles on it when the gaskets started leaking.