LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 Hotcam (help with cam swap)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT4 Hotcam (help with cam swap)

Hey guys,

There's a guyin my club who is offering me a LT4 Hotcam. In my situation it's the perfect cam for me. The car is used on the street all the time so I don't want anything extreme, lasts not my question tho.

What does it take to do a cam swap. Can I tackle this from the top, or do I have to drop the motor. Just curious before I get in over my head.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not he hardest thing in the world but if your mechanically inclined and know what your doing, shouldnt be hard at all. If you know someone who has done it before it might make it that much easier and faster to do. It can be done in a day if you have everything you need. The part I always hate os swapping the springs out. what a pita
Old 11-19-2006, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
Its not he hardest thing in the world but if your mechanically inclined and know what your doing, shouldnt be hard at all. If you know someone who has done it before it might make it that much easier and faster to do. It can be done in a day if you have everything you need. The part I always hate os swapping the springs out. what a pita

I have my dad, and he's more than qualified, I just wanted to get some input before I bought the cam. So I'm guessing that I can do the cam swap through the top, if it can be done in a day.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your getting the cam, you need better springs (at least LT4's if not better), 1.6 roller rockers so you can get the .525" lift. Gaskets such as intake, timing cover, seals for the waterpump, opti and crank. A good crank puller as well as a threaded rod so you can put the crank hub back on. Also the basic stuff like RTV aand waterpump gaskets. If your opti is older, you may want to consider changing it out as well as water pump, your basically there.

Also tuning couldnt hurt.