Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pump overheating?

In the process of installing a fuel cell. I've ordered a Aeromotive 11101 pump (600 lbs per hr in a 13.5 system) and a SS filter and have spent what I had in the budget for this fuel system but....

I've heard that I should strongly consider a fuel pump speed controller (another approximately $275!) as these pumps have some history of over-heating on an engine used for driving around town.

Is it imperative I do it now? Can it wait a few months? Anybody have any experience or recommendations? I'm mechanically handy but technologically challanged... are they difficult to set up? Where do they mount? Appreciate it. Jim
Old 11-20-2006, 10:56 AM
FormerVendor

That pump will not last long on the street without some sort of controller.

Nate
Old 11-20-2006, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

The above statement is false. I have a 11101 with no controller with over 40,000 miles on it. I've made several trips from Oklahoma City to Kansas City none stopped (except for gas and food). That trip is 5 and half hours. The pump will last for a long time as long as you plumb correctly and use the proper filters. Feed the pump with a -10an line, use the 12304 filter on the suction side, 12301 on the discharge and you will be fine.

On a side note: Aeromotive has a 11101 that went 125,000 miles on a customers car with no speed pump controller.

The purpose of a speed pump controller is to keep the fuel cool, not extend the life of the pump. The fuel is heated in the rail and returned to the tank. The bigger the pump, the faster the fuel is cycled through the engine bay. This is where heat in the fuel comes from, not the pump. Some cars need the controller but many don't have to use it. Just hook the pump as it says to in the instructions and you will be fine. If you have any questions, call Aeromotive's tech line, they were a great help to me.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:45 PM
FormerVendor

That is just fine good to hear you got a good one it is rare. I have seen some crap out after just a few hours of street driving and Aeromotive rec. using the controler on all street drive cars.

Nate
Old 11-20-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I Had This Pump. And It Sucked, Over Heated Going Arround The Block. If You Can, Send It Back For A Refund. A Votage Controllor To Make it Work Is Another 250-300 Dollars, And It Still Sucks.........check Your Pm

Last edited by otherwhitemeat; 11-20-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Jim S

The pump you bought is a great pump. Just follow the instructions and you be golden. I've used Aeromotive products on all my cars from fords to chevy's and never had an issue. I love my 11101 and will use them on all my future cars to come. Check this thread out and see who is favored the most. https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection/458260-external-fuel-pump-please-vote.html

Have a good evening.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have decided to spend the extra bucks and attempt to do it right the first time. I decided do the 11101, a pre and post filter, 12304 and 12301, and the controller. I don't need vapor locks etc in the middle of July driving to the races, a show or cruise. Every time I try to save a few bucks by ignoring some piece of advice I end up spending more than I would have had I just made the leap and spent the bucks in the first place.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump overheating?