Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stickies I’d like to see

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Stickies I’d like to see

As a first time builder,,, I’ve done so many search on the same things,,, over and over and over and I’m wondering if the Moderators might consider either a few more stickies or a couple of expanded ones. I have a few ideas of what I’d like to see,,, I wonder if you agree and if you have a few more ideas! From an IT perspective I really believe it would cut down the number of searches done (making things better) and elevating the discussions,,, so everyone wins.

GM MLS Gaskets – part numbers and compressed thicknesses,,, and as a follow on what is this best way to measure compressed thickness? It seems the numbers range from .054 to .060 based in if they are for the 5.7L or the 6.0 MLS or other. I’ve read everything there is 6 times and I’m still confused.

Quench – Yes this follows right behind the previous topic and has been a source of major irritation for me. First how do I measure deck height correctly and as a follow on,,, if I have irregularities in the measurements,,, what would be the best to use? Are the standards really .035>.040 for a street motor as all my local motor guys say .040 is a minimum What about if you run forged pistons with looser clearances VS stockers with tighter clearances,,,, how does this change things? What are the recommendations when doing an in-car change on a stock motor,,,, should all of the pistons be measured or just assume they are about .010 out of the hole?

PTV Clearance – Again I’ve done a number of searches on this. Although everyone should check,,,, it seems more of a mathematical kind of thing,,, or at least a table of guys that have checked. Cam specs,,, heads,, were they milled,, pistons,,, fly cuts,,, PR lengths and of course results. Could the supporting vendors add a bit of insight on their cams,,, I think they could.

Pushrod Length Check – See above comment. It seems easy enough,,, but where do I get those checker springs?????

DCR –SCR – I asked at least two question about this,,, and in reality with the spreadsheets that are available it’s easy,,,, once you know what to enter. How do I get those numbers that aren’t on my cam card?

The Right Recipe - This is the one that I really want to know about. It seems Tony Mamo is credited with the recipe and I know he’s had great results. What I’d like to see is a list of what I might need to do to get to a certain RWHP. For me power ‘under the curve’ is good as I’m not a drag racer,,, and a drag racer clearly is looking for something else. How about some generally discussion on ‘How do you drive your car’, ‘what are you looking for’ and here are a few ideas on how to get there.

PCV Updates – Something I’m looking into.

Break In Procedure – Seems there are two schools of thought on this one,,,,,, hard and soft.

Just a few thoughts,,,,, and although I’m not the guy to answer any of these,,,, I know there are guys on this forum that can.

Thanks!