LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

top end package for 383 stroker?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top end package for 383 stroker?????

i dont know what i want... i want a 396 stroker, but i dont know what heads, intake, and cam i need, how do i know what works the best for me? i want a street/strip motor that has tons of power, that wont let me down for several years to come, whats the difference in stage l, ll, and lll of ported heads? and is it the same with the intake?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by zstangboi
i dont know what i want... i want a 396 stroker, but i dont know what heads, intake, and cam i need, how do i know what works the best for me? i want a street/strip motor that has tons of power, that wont let me down for several years to come, whats the difference in stage l, ll, and lll of ported heads? and is it the same with the intake?
Do some reading and searching. A lot of the questions you are asking have already been asked -- you just have to do the footwork and search around for the answers.

You've had people tell you the same things over and over with the 3 threads you've started regarding your planned stroker motor.

Ultimately money is going to be the limiting factor -- you can call up Victory Racing Engines and they can build you an entire 383 long block with some ported heads and an intake to match as well as a cam to compliment the entire setup. That is a more expensive route, but it is do-able.

You can piece together a 383 rotating assembly, pull your motor out, and take it to a machine shop to be cleaned up and assembled. Then you can go with a heads/cam/intake package and put it on.

Like I told you in another one of your threads. The saying goes "Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick two"

The different terms for "stages" of porting is a reference to the ammount of work they put into the heads. The higher the stage or port size, the more hours have been put into them. They'll flow better, but they will cost more as well.

When you are serious about what you want, and you have the money for it -- give Advanced Induction or Lloyd Eliot Port Works a call and talk to them about your application and they'll put together a heads/cam/intake package that will be best for the goals you're looking for from the setup.

Also, keep in mind that with a much more significant engine comes much more significant drivetrain parts as well. With all of the new power your engine is going to be putting out, you're either going to need to do a performance rebuild on your 4L60E (with a higher stall converter) or look into a TH350/TH400. The rearend is also important, and in the 4th Gen F-bodies can be a weak leak, so you'll need to look into a 9" or 12-Bolt rear with a set of gears that will best suit your application as well.

If you really want to do this with your car, it is going to require a lot of homework and thorough research to make sure that the parts you are getting for the car aren't necessarily the best, but they are the best for each other. That is the most important principle you need to keep in mind with your buildup -- you want all of your parts to compliment each other in the best way possible.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

I was going to post and tell you something similar, but WhyHelloOfficer summed it up nicely. Ill just add a few small things.

You have to know your goals, and know where the build is going. You dont even have a bottom end and you're looking for top end components. Work backwards instead. ask yourself what you want. Your HP goals. Power adders wanted, if any. Drivability issues. How much you have to spend, and how much of the work YOU want to do. THEN you can narrow your choice of motor to what you need, and what you can afford. Once at that point you already know your goals(if you're still working in sequence), so anyone who does alot of heads/cam packages can set you up with something to meet those goals, and that will work well together.

Also pay close attention to what he said about the drivetrain.

-Josh
Old 11-28-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
If you really want to do this with your car, it is going to require a lot of homework and thorough research to make sure that the parts you are getting for the car aren't necessarily the best, but they are the best for each other. That is the most important principle you need to keep in mind with your buildup -- you want all of your parts to compliment each other in the best way possible.
thats why i decided to buy a whole engine.