Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Witch one flows better?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which one flows better?

a nice Ypipe and a cutout(OPEN) or a 3" true dual with an xpipe with 1 chamber flowmasters??

Last edited by Ego Killer; 11-30-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'll see better performance through the true dual system with 3" single chamber flows. it's not all about flow. flow is VASTLY overrated. a y-pipe with an open cutout and true duals w/single chambers will likely BOTH flow very similarly and support your engine WELL PAST the horsepower rating your car likely has. what you need to worry about is scavenging as this is where the real power comes in.

true duals are simply better for power. they take each manifold and scavenge them individually. since you don't have two different sides of the engine's air colliding at a single point into the I-pipe of a y-pipe, the exhaust gases simply leave more efficiently. not to mention, the X-pipes and H-pipes simply scavenge better due to the way it balances the pulses of gas.

in short, true duals just produce more power. flow doesn't matter as a good catback and true duals will both support the horsepower level you're making. it's about scavenging and exhaust velocity at this point, and true duals are the winner hands down.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
true duals are simply better for power. they take each manifold and scavenge them individually.
Actually that would be the header not the mid pipe.

since you don't have two different sides of the engine's air colliding at a single point into the I-pipe of a y-pipe, the exhaust gases simply leave more efficiently. not to mention, the X-pipes and H-pipes simply scavenge better due to the way it balances the pulses of gas.
When I spoke to a Magnaflow engineer a while back he came to the conclusion that a Y pipe scavengies in the same manner as an X pipe.

Also LG who make arguably the best headers for Corvettes actually turn their X pipe into a Y pipe for their race cars.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

both are around equal, if you want to lose some weight go with the duals...or save the money and just get a cutout
Old 11-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Actually that would be the header not the mid pipe.
a header is a manifold. that's what a longtube header is - a long exhaust manifold. i fail to see the problem here

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
When I spoke to a Magnaflow engineer a while back he came to the conclusion that a Y pipe scavengies in the same manner as an X pipe.

Also LG who make arguably the best headers for Corvettes actually turn their X pipe into a Y pipe for their race cars.
initially, maybe, but not further down the line. the problem is, you have two gases leaving each side of the engine colliding into each other when the two sides of the y-pipe merge into the I-pipe. that slows down velocity. gains are from:

-flow
-scavenging
-exhaust velocity

you need all three. a y-pipe may flow nearly as well as an X-pipe/H-pipe and it may scavenge decently, but when the gases collide, they slow. true duals show more power than y-pipe setups because the gases flow independently. they don't interfere with each other except when they balance out towards the end. true duals are just better than a y-pipe. period.

i can't stress this enough: BOTH ARE NOT EQUAL. a y-pipe setup will NEVER have the potential of a true dual setup, and even on a stock motor with stock power, the perfect true dual system will outperform the perfect y-pipe setup. guaranteed.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrs1313
both are around equal, if you want to lose some weight go with the duals...or save the money and just get a cutout

the reason I ask is becouse I have the TD set up I described its sounds awsome..but its so damn load in the car and rattles my console..and I was thinking if power is equal I might change..
Old 11-30-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had LT's, ORY, open cutout and a hooker catback. It was loud! It is deffinately louder than my duals. Maybe thats because the cut out was under the car and the duals go out the back. The duals sound a million times better IMO...especially 1 chambers!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

My car sounds like stock with the cutout closed and a beast when it is open, so you have the best of both worlds...dont listen to taco yeah duals may be a little better but i doubt it is that much, i mean if you think about it the gases collide too in the X pipe just like in the Y...the reason for doing dual should be sound, or lose weight, cutout is just so much more practical...i mean look at my times think it doesn't work...

Originally Posted by Ego Killer
the reason I ask is becouse I have the TD set up I described its sounds awsome..but its so damn load in the car and rattles my console..and I was thinking if power is equal I might change..
Old 11-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by chrs1313
My car sounds like stock with the cutout closed and a beast when it is open, so you have the best of both worlds...dont listen to taco yeah duals may be a little better but i doubt it is that much, i mean if you think about it the gases collide too in the X pipe just like in the Y...the reason for doing dual should be sound, or lose weight, cutout is just so much more practical...i mean look at my times think it doesn't work...
don't listen to me? don't listen to physics. duals produce more hp/tq than a y-pipe setup. they are better on any and every setup assuming they're a quality setup. case. closed.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

don't listen to me? don't listen to physics. duals produce more hp/tq than a y-pipe setup. they are better on any and every setup assuming they're a quality setup. case. closed.
why dont you have duals then if it is so much better...just saying they are pretty damn close...i would actually really like to see some track or dyno results with duals vs cutout and y on an ls1...obviously same conditions etc...i am thinking it is more like the fact of the stock maf...can support up to around 500hp...maybe not but my results and other speak for then self i gained 2 mph at the track from closed cutout to open...same day very next pass with identical 60fts went 110 to 112...cant see how much more i would have gained from duals except for the weight loss...i am not doubting it isn't better but the price for duals vs a cutout...cant even compare the two
Old 11-30-2006, 11:39 PM
That's what she said...

Locking this one before the stupid leaks out. Holy ****.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:28 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you'll see better performance through the true dual system with 3" single chamber flows. it's not all about flow. flow is VASTLY overrated. a y-pipe with an open cutout and true duals w/single chambers will likely BOTH flow very similarly and support your engine WELL PAST the horsepower rating your car likely has. what you need to worry about is scavenging as this is where the real power comes in.

true duals are simply better for power. they take each manifold and scavenge them individually. since you don't have two different sides of the engine's air colliding at a single point into the I-pipe of a y-pipe, the exhaust gases simply leave more efficiently. not to mention, the X-pipes and H-pipes simply scavenge better due to the way it balances the pulses of gas.

in short, true duals just produce more power. flow doesn't matter as a good catback and true duals will both support the horsepower level you're making. it's about scavenging and exhaust velocity at this point, and true duals are the winner hands down.

Jesus Tony!