Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers with a Blower?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers with a Blower?

Why are people telling me that I need to change the Long Tubes when I install my Supercharger? Everyone says "gotta use shorties or truck manifolds"......what gives?
Old 11-30-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing. IMO LT's will work great with a blower.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Why are people telling me that I need to change the Long Tubes when I install my Supercharger? Everyone says "gotta use shorties or truck manifolds"......what gives?
? What?

you say people are telling you that you have to change to longtubes, but then your next statement says that they are telling you that you have to use shorties or truck manifolds.

regardless, you can runa supercharger on stock manifolds, but'll limit the power than you'll make. The longtubes will let the car breathe and make considerably more power.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

with a supercharger on your car you are going to want maximum for out of the exhaust unlike a n/a motor scavenging doesnt really matter as much......this is because the blower Pushes air through....so maximum flow=maximum power. ie. 1 7/8" headers
Old 11-30-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Thanx guys.....I thought something was fishy.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:11 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shorties or truck manifolds work with TURBO setups, somebody misunderstanded you.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
? What?

you say people are telling you that you have to change to longtubes, but then your next statement says that they are telling you that you have to use shorties or truck manifolds.

regardless, you can runa supercharger on stock manifolds, but'll limit the power than you'll make. The longtubes will let the car breathe and make considerably more power.
he said change THE longtubes, not change TO longtubes lol.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
i left the reading part of my brain when i got up this mourning..lol.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

thats something someone on a honda fourm would say.. a supercharger pushes air into the engine, power is achieved by making the engine take in the air and push it out fast as possible, so if you were pushing air in faster you would want to push it out faster also or the resistance would be limiting the amount of air that could be pushed in..therefore making lt's the best!
Old 11-30-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

someone probly was confused when they told you that.

if you had a rearmounted turbo setup, you want manifolds....

but for a supercharged motor, you want longtubes.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigfoot2thefloor
thats something someone on a honda fourm would say.. a supercharger pushes air into the engine, power is achieved by making the engine take in the air and push it out fast as possible, so if you were pushing air in faster you would want to push it out faster also or the resistance would be limiting the amount of air that could be pushed in..therefore making lt's the best!
Sad truth look at the real tech forums on Hondatech, people are dumber here.

half a million pages on ram air but just because its ls1tech no ricers here right?

Not to say both sites dont have both good and bad.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
Thank you sir....lol..I was wondering what he ment myself.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Your original question has been answered but here is some additional information regarding the relationship of the exhaust to a supercharger.

First, a typical blower setup is capable of pumping 40 to 50% more air (and fuel) into the cylinder than the engine could do without the blower. That's why you can produce 40 to 50% more power. However, while the blower can pump more air and fuel into the cylinders, you still have the same setup on the exhaust side that the unblown engine had. (Unless you change it.) So you are trying to get 40 to 50% more exhaust gas out of the cylinder. Admittedly you do have the piston moving up and forcing these burned gases out the exhaust, which helps. But if there are restrictions such as small exhaust port, small exhaust valve, short cam timing and lift, and small diameter headers, it makes the job of getting those gases out that much more difficult.

Because of this, the ideal blower engine will favor the exhaust on cam timing. Blower cams generally have higher lift and longer duration on the exhaust side. Additonally, you want the largest exhaust ports you can have along with, typically, about 1-7/8" diameter head pipes. I am speaking now of experience gleaned with SB Chevys which typically have 1-1/2" diameter head pipes. I am not familiar with header pipe size on the usual LS1 header but with a blower, it would be nice to have a larger port and head pipe than standard.

Now, to put this in perspective. Is a cam change and header change absolutely necessary if you install a blower? No, it isn't. Even without these changes you will get significantly more power with the blower and you won't damage your engine with a stock cam and headers. You just won't make as much power as you would otherwise. And additionally, almost all of the extra gain you would see from a cam and header change will be at engine speeds above about 4,500 to 5,000 rpm.

I hope this clarifies some of these issues. Much of the experience I have gained was during the time I was with B&M and we developed the blower program. There were literally hundreds of dyno tests taken with every conceivable combination of parts. As a result of these tests and the data achieved, I wrote a book on supercharging published by B&M which unfortunately is no longer available. After I left B&M I also wrote a tech manual on supercharging for Weiand. However, a lot of the key information that was in the B&M book and the Weiand tech manual is now printed on nine pages in the Holley/Weiand catalog under the heading "Weiand Supercharger Technical Information." However the information I had in the book on exhaust issues did not make it into the Holley/Weiand catalog.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

i dont think people are dumber here i think they just dont know what a search button is...
Old 11-30-2006, 10:42 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Shorties or truck manifolds work with TURBO setups, somebody misunderstood you.
Spellcheck FTW!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know this is an extreme example.....but....... I am having a extremely difficult time remembering ever seeing any type of drag car with a blower running stock manifolds.....
Old 11-30-2006, 11:34 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Spellcheck FTW!
FTW FTL.

Rememberize this for next time.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigfoot2thefloor
i dont think people are dumber here i think they just dont know what a search button is...
i'M GETTIN' TIRED OF THE SEARCH BUTTON REMARKS. I TRIED THE SEARCH BUTTON...AND MY QUESTION WASN'T ANSWERED. IF A MAN CAN'T SEEK ADVICE FROM HIS PEERS WHO HAVE A COMMON INTREST IN THE SAME TYPE OF VEHICLES....THEH THIS WEBISITE IS FOR NOTHING. THANX
Old 12-01-2006, 02:58 PM
That's what she said...

i'M GETTIN' TIRED OF THE SEARCH BUTTON REMARKS. I TRIED THE SEARCH BUTTON...AND MY QUESTION WASN'T ANSWERED. IF A MAN CAN'T SEEK ADVICE FROM HIS PEERS WHO HAVE A COMMON INTREST IN THE SAME TYPE OF VEHICLES....THEH THIS WEBISITE IS FOR NOTHING. THANX
Don't let some douche get you revved up. Your question was a legit one, I can see where there would be some confusion.

If you'd asked what all you need for an LS6 intake install, then you could get search ****'d.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

alright dont get your panties in a knot as long as you tried that first