General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!

ok, i was driving today and my car suddenly just lost power as if it was running on 4 cylinders. it also makes like a hissing noise. i usualy have my MAF unplugged because i had a ripped elbow and it made the car run like ****...i got a new elbow yesterday, put it on, plugged the MAF in, and car ran fine. today i start the car up and start driving it and i notice a noise coming from the catalytic converter, like rattling. im driving home and i notice a huge difference in performance all of a sudden. could it be a clogged cat? since it was running very rich.? please help. thanks, bob
Old 12-02-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To see about the cat, you could start it up and put your hands by the exhaust tips to see how much is coming out. Maybe have a friend rev it up a little while you're back there.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

With the exhaust cold, hit on the cat in question with the bottom of your fist. If you can hear the rattle, the inside of the cat has broken up and needs to be replaced.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Disconect the battery, leave it off for about 5 minutes. then reconnect it. your computer has to reconfigure your peramiters. since you had the MAF disconnected for that long