LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stick with midlengths or go with LTs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stick with midlengths or go with LTs?

Okay, I bought my '94 Z with mac midlengths and y and flowmaster 3" catback with a cutout. I recently got a great deal on Mufflex 4" catback and Y pipe. The Y accepts longtubes and not my midlengths. Will I see a noticeable difference going from mids to LTs or should I stick with the mids and just use the 4" catback? In other words, is it worth my time and effort to pull the entire exhaust out and replace it with another that is "better"?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

i think it woulnd be a bad idea considering the chokemaster that is on the car
Old 12-05-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT14LIFE JT
Okay, I bought my '94 Z with mac midlengths and y and flowmaster 3" catback with a cutout. I recently got a great deal on Mufflex 4" catback and Y pipe. The Y accepts longtubes and not my midlengths. Will I see a noticeable difference going from mids to LTs or should I stick with the mids and just use the 4" catback? In other words, is it worth my time and effort to pull the entire exhaust out and replace it with another that is "better"?
Contrary to popular belief...longtubes are not the end all. It's all about exhaust sizing for your motor and where you want your tq band to be. Obviously tuned length as well as header design plays a role as well but for most here that means little.

With that said, long tubes are great addition as long as you don't care so much about your ground clearance. I've had that setup you describe and it hangs pretty low. Depending on where you live this may make a difference or it may not.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know a guy that went from mids to LT's, then he went back to mids. was a 70 camaro sbc 350 tho. ground clearance was the issue.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I realize that flowmaster is one of the least desired of exhaust systems for F-bods, and I had intended on replacing it with the 4" catback regardless, but my questios is: "Is it worth it to replace my midlengths with LTs or will I not see enough hp gains to suffice all the effort"?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT14LIFE JT
I realize that flowmaster is one of the least desired of exhaust systems for F-bods, and I had intended on replacing it with the 4" catback regardless, but my questios is: "Is it worth it to replace my midlengths with LTs or will I not see enough hp gains to suffice all the effort"?
As an example, I know a supercharged 383 that was making damn near 1K hp through some mid-lenght headers. Keep in mind how vital exhaust is on a supercharged car so that just gives you a reference.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

unless you have a killer motor i wouldn't go 4in exhaust it will hurt the performance of the motor.by not giving it enough backpressure.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

What you have to do is decide what you want out of the car, and create a plan. Don't deviate from your plan because of cheap parts. If you come across good deals that fit into your plan, consider yourself lucky. It never seems to happen for me.

I had to make the Long Tube versus Mid Length decision a couple of weeks ago. I found a smoking deal on a set of Mid Tubes but I had already planned on using Long Tubes. In the end I decided to stick to my plan, and spent over twice as much to get the Long Tubes.

To answer your question, I don`t think you wil get a noticable difference by changing headers. You could probably get a better bang for the buck with some drag radials or suspension upgrades.

Last edited by Razor_Blade; 12-05-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
What you have to do is decide what you want out of the car, and create a plan. Don't deviate from your plan because of cheap parts. If you come across good deals that fit into your plan, consider yourself lucky. It never seems to happen for me.

I had to make the Long Tube versus Mid Length decision a couple of weeks ago. I found a smoking deal on a set of Mid Tubes but I had already planned on using Long Tubes. In the end I decided to stick to my plan, and spent over twice as much to get the Long Tubes.

To answer your question, I don`t think you wil get a noticable difference by changing headers. You could probably get a better bang for the buck with some drag radials or suspension upgrades.
I've got brand new M/T drag radials and I'm hookin great. 1.701 60' on stock suspension, full weight, plus a 6 point cage. I have almost all the bolt-ons, and I'd planned on doing weight reduction and complete exhaust change over the winter months and adding the few remaining bolt-ons and dial the car in. I just can't stand the thought of $700 exhaust waiting to be installed and I'm stuck with the decision of LTs or no LTs. I wish someone had dyno #s to show the difference.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rocket22
unless you have a killer motor i wouldn't go 4in exhaust it will hurt the performance of the motor.by not giving it enough backpressure.
Really. How bad? The fastest bolt-on LT1 ever had no muffler or cats. I still have my stock TB and I was going to replace it with a 52 or 58mm TB and have considered going with the monblade(1300cfm)..I figured the faster the air went in, the faster I could get it out, hence the use of 4" exhaust. I know it makes more power but will I lose alot of torque?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

It will have lose almost all bottem end and will run sluggish,I have a bolt on car with every bolt on,and I ran it with no exhaust it was turd.

A 52mm TB is biggest I would run on a bolt on,anything bigger is flooding it with air and not helping anything,also a 58mm wont fit a factory intake without boring the thottle body bore's bigger.

Who has the fastest blot on car with no exhaust.I'd like to see it.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Banned

Couple things I got to say here.

First off, it depends on what he means by 'no exhaust'.
Do you mean after the headers? Thats the same is running a cutout, and WILL give you a little more HP...

And rocket it right about the throttle body...
Don't go past 54MM on a bolt on car...
and have your original one ported, don't spend $200 on a new one, its just not worth it.
A local shop should do it for around 80-100 bucks and you don't have to recalibrate the linkage...

I know of a couple bolt on guys that went with a 58MM TB, and they needed a good tune for it to work like it should...
Old 12-06-2006, 03:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

www.herronperformance.com
Old 12-06-2006, 03:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by burnzilla
Couple things I got to say here.

First off, it depends on what he means by 'no exhaust'.
Do you mean after the headers? Thats the same is running a cutout, and WILL give you a little more HP...

And rocket it right about the throttle body...
Don't go past 54MM on a bolt on car...
and have your original one ported, don't spend $200 on a new one, its just not worth it.
A local shop should do it for around 80-100 bucks and you don't have to recalibrate the linkage...

I know of a couple bolt on guys that went with a 58MM TB, and they needed a good tune for it to work like it should...
Thanks for the advice, burnzilla. I had a stock TB that was bored by a local machine shop and it made my Z idle way high and it kinda turned me away from that, but it was really just poor machine work and not a bad idea in general.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

TTT

Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions for me? I'm about to pull my car down and remove some weight as my winter project and I'm curious as to if I'm going to gain any hp going from mid lengths to LTs.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

if you have the money to switch to LT's do it.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 300 Likes on 226 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

IMO, 4" Exhaust is huge, too big. I have LT's, 3" ORY, and a 3" Bullet dumped right before the Rear Axle, no Cat. The LT1 has some wicked low end torque, so I would keep a decent Exhaust on it to keep the torque there. It doesn't get up into the high RPM's where a real open exhaust will help horse power.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

4" is entirely too big especially on a bolt on car Bigger is not always better. Also they are right about the throttle bodies, it will affect your tune and usually not worth the money unless you are Heads/Cam and pushing alot of HP.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Launching!

well just cecking
Old 12-10-2006, 06:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the advice, the_merv and Cammed95Z28. I've been comtemplating the whole time about this exhaust. I want that deep drone and no raspy sound, but I don't want to effect my performance. So don't go any bigger than 52MM TB and just get a better 3" catback and sell/trade the 4" mufflex? Man, that cahnges my winter plans..LOL