LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam help...

well I've finally decided to upgrade from the stock cam in my 95 as soon as I get her back from the Tranny shop...heres what She'll have when I get her back, Mods in my Sig, with the exception of the stall which is getting switched to a YankSS3200, and since i've decided to up the cam, I'me about to go ahead and order the Valve springs, and some 1.6 rockers to get those out of the way.....im just kinda stuck on what cam to use....the LT4 H/C has caught my attention a few times but never heard one, and after looking around, the Comp 224/230 caught my attention as well...Just not too sure one which one will give me better results, any help would be appreciated, also if it helps, I plan on going with a set of LE1 Heads, sporting spray in the next month or so...
Old 12-09-2006, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28
well I've finally decided to upgrade from the stock cam in my 95 as soon as I get her back from the Tranny shop...heres what She'll have when I get her back, Mods in my Sig, with the exception of the stall which is getting switched to a YankSS3200, and since i've decided to up the cam, I'me about to go ahead and order the Valve springs, and some 1.6 rockers to get those out of the way.....im just kinda stuck on what cam to use....the LT4 H/C has caught my attention a few times but never heard one, and after looking around, the Comp 224/230 caught my attention as well...Just not too sure one which one will give me better results, any help would be appreciated, also if it helps, I plan on going with a set of LE1 Heads, sporting spray in the next month or so...
yeah it will rock
Old 12-09-2006, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28

The hot cam isn't a bad route to go -- you definately can't beat the bang for the buck as far as it is concerned. The results aren't world shattering, but they are definately solid. It is extremely streetable.

My car went from a 13.6 to a 12.7 with the addition of the LT4 Hot Cam Kit and a 3000 stall converter.

With the addition of a 100 shot I dropped the car into the 11s -- its a lot of fun. The cam sounds a lot meaner than what it really is, so you'll definately turn some heads.

Here is a vid of mine with a 3000rpm rev.'94 Z28 with Hot Cam
Old 12-09-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The comp cam really likes N2O! It would also complement your converter much better.
My buddy's 97 SS ran this cam and had excellent results with it. We live at higher elevation so the numbers may not sound that great to you, but consider 5300 ft actual elevation(usually between 7500 ft to as high as 9900 ft corrected). On motor he ran a 13.85 and 12.00 on a 150 shot. He spanked a pesky local Ford Lightening that had alot of up grades done to the truck: smaller blower pulley, better heads, converter, and 200 shot of N2O.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok...and now for the the dumb question, how much of a pain in the *** is a cam swap on the LT1's???? I've helped a friend out with a few on his LS1 cars butthe motor was already out of the car so it made things a lil easier, and i know the LS and LT motors aren't really a comparision
Old 12-10-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

The big PITA difference between the LS and LT motors is that most things, like the rockers, just bolt on. The LT cam swap usually takes a good bit longer, especially if you don't have the capability to pull the motor. I don't think you even need to take the intake off in the LS motors, but you definitely need to on the LT1.

Quick Reply: Cam help...