Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noob cam questions? opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob cam questions? opinions please

I have a 01 z06 that currently has a halltech intake+tric, tpis headers + xpipe + no cats and bb bullet exhaust.

I was planning on getting a tune after the holidays but now i have been playing with the idea of installing a cam before the tune.

I found a member selling a LG g5x3 cam. I am looking at making big power that has good street manners, all while retaining my factory ls6 heads. In the discription of the cam he mentions its a 114 and not a 112... anyone care to explain?

The member is just selling the cam. I need to know what other parts i need to buy to install this cam properly. If you can list specific brand names as well as rough price estimate that would be awesome. I am trying to do this right but also stay on a budget. I need a rough price estimate for only the extra parts needed to properly install the cam minus the cost of the install or the actual cam... just extra parts need.

I have read some post about how good the idle of this cam is and i should have no worries using this cam for a daily driver. My vette is not my DD but i do try and drive it everyday.

do i have to worry about this cam at idle or low rpm's while driving in parking areas?

I dont know much about cams but doing my homework. i thought it would be nice to make my own thread to answer my own specific questions.

thanks guys for the help

Last edited by 2klude; 12-11-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:28 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using a cam about the same size, and have no problems driving it daily (did it for 15k miles). It's ALL in the tuning. Who will be doing it? Where are you located? (so we may be able to suggest a place or two)

You'll need a nice valvespring package. I would go with the PRC dual spring kit (.650 lift). I run it on my car, and it will cover that cam EASILY.

You'll need gaskets/bolts/oil pump/timing chain (LS2). 90% of people install an underdrive pulley as well (10rwhp, stocker has to come off anyway).

Check out LS1howto.com's cam-install section for more reading material.

PS - Welcome to the site.

PSS - I typed this out in my section and was about to move it, thanks for doing my job for me!
Old 12-10-2006, 11:31 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stickies should cover all the stuff you need, but in a nutshell:

Pusrods
Springs
new timing chain or set, depending on your mileage with your current one, they can have heavy wear on them.
Maybe a replacement oil pump if you are higher mileage as well.
maybe titanium retainers
maybe lifters if you feel like pulling the heads

I would DD the X3 in a heartbeat. You might want to consider gears though. possibly a 3.73.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

112/114 refers to the lobe separation angle in degrees. Generally a 114 lsa will idle smoother, but a 112 will hit harder. Do a search and you'll find all kinds of info to better understand this stuff
Old 12-10-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

243+G5X3 here on a 112 and its a badass..but as stated eariler change the gear
Old 12-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Teching In

thanks for the welcome guys... i am surprised how active this forum is. i just made the topic and didnt expect to get 3 replies that fast.

i actualy registered on this forum last year but never spent any time on it since i found corvetteforum.com shortly after my registration here.

anyways, thanks for the kind welcome and expect to see me here more often.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I'm using a cam about the same size, and have no problems driving it daily (did it for 15k miles). It's ALL in the tuning. Who will be doing it? Where are you located? (so we may be able to suggest a place or two)

You'll need a nice valvespring package. I would go with the PRC dual spring kit (.650 lift). I run it on my car, and it will cover that cam EASILY.

You'll need gaskets/bolts/oil pump/timing chain (LS2). 90% of people install an underdrive pulley as well (10rwhp, stocker has to come off anyway).

I am located in fremont,ca. There is a good tuner here right in the city of fremont called sinergy. I have heard alot of good things about this shop and their tunes in the norcal section of corvetteforum.com.

I am somewhat on a budjet. would i be saving if i bought one of these valvetrain ungrade kits from texas-speed?

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=214&catid=54

I cant find any info on this prc spring kit online.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Teching In

also wanted to mention that my car has 20000miles on her. do you guys think i need to replace the oil pump and chain?
Old 12-11-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

You should make great power with bolt ons and yes to the ported pump and chain
Old 12-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Teching In

can someone take a look at this setup this member is selling.... he is also somewhat local. he has...

FMS cam kit $325 obo Futral Motorsports Cam Package Upgrade - Add Manley Dual Drop In Springs, Manley Titanium Retainers, Manley Seats, Intake/Exhaust Valve Stem Seals, FMS Hardened Pushrods

SLP Oil pump $125

SLP Timing chain $125

what do you guys think of this setup. i can get a ported ls6 pump for the same price aswell as a ls2 timing chain. are these better parts than the ported ls6 pump and ls2 chain? all the above listed parts are brand new.

I am thinking of making him an offer but need to know if this is what i need for my G5x3 cam... still doing alot of ready but still need to learn a whole lot more.

thanks again guys
Old 12-11-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ported oil pump, timing chain,valve springs,gear 3.73 or better,good tune,headers/full exhaust all that is needed to make good power and the stuff he is selling seems fine
Old 12-11-2006, 12:44 AM
That's what she said...

Ported LS6 pump and LS2 timing chain are great. The LS2 timing chain is only like $28 bux and PLENTY strong. You can get the chain from SDPC, and the bolts/gaskets from Futral (where I got my cam swap stuff from).

Are you planning on installing this yourself? If so, get a valvespring compressor, these guys can tell you which is best.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Ported LS6 pump and LS2 timing chain are great. The LS2 timing chain is only like $28 bux and PLENTY strong. You can get the chain from SDPC, and the bolts/gaskets from Futral (where I got my cam swap stuff from).

Are you planning on installing this yourself? If so, get a valvespring compressor, these guys can tell you which is best.
i was searching for parts at texas-speed and the have 2 different ls2 chains. one is 28 dollars and the other was 98 dollars. any clue what the difference in the chains is... their discription for both chains was the same
Old 12-11-2006, 02:55 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by 2klude
i was searching for parts at texas-speed and the have 2 different ls2 chains. one is 28 dollars and the other was 98 dollars. any clue what the difference in the chains is... their discription for both chains was the same
One is a kit and comes with sprockets, but you can run the stockers with the LS2 chain.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:43 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by 2klude
i actualy registered on this forum last year but never spent any time on it since i found corvetteforum.com shortly after my registration here.

your huge sig was a reflection of that!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:44 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by tacklebox
112/114 refers to the lobe separation angle in degrees. Generally a 114 lsa will idle smoother, but a 112 will hit harder. Do a search and you'll find all kinds of info to better understand this stuff
Not hit harder, it will tighten up the powerband.