Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam to pass CA smog PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cam to pass CA smog PLEASE HELP

Hi, I spoke to this guy in CA that does tuning and he told me something about a bar code thats on the smog papers that reads the stock setting of your car or something like that. he told me that when you alter your car, like cams and other boltons to your car that even tho that you get a tune. When you go to the shop to get the smog check,Chances are you won't pass because when they hook up the car to the computer and read your smog paper work or somehting,that it will show something that your car was altered and you won't pass. Now is this true,because i have 2 cams to choose from,one cam is a regrind equivalent to hot cam but little differen't specs:218/228,558 lift with 116 lsa. The other cam is 03 ls6 cam.So, I even asked him about the stock 03 ls6 cam if that will pass or not and his aswer was that it won't pass either.. I really don't know Now because this guy is telling me that these two won't pass... So is this true about something about the barcodes that smog guys read when they hook your car to the computer that it will show everthing that you done to the car??? The only boltons that i have is catback exhaust,shorty headers,lid and filter
Old 12-15-2006, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

no there is no way for a computer to read cam specs.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Banned

Do a little more research on which cam, because I wouldn't run either of the two you mentioned.

To answer your question though, they will hook your car up to a sniffer, and run it on some rollers. It will measure the emissions that your car puts out. Some cams run cleaner than others so some will pass smog and some won't. Generally speaking a 224/224 114 lsa will pass with tuning, and anything smaller than that will pass also.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chris93266
no there is no way for a computer to read cam specs.
+1
im goin with the 224/224
Old 12-18-2006, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

Stock!!! Id say around a 224/224 as well but you could aways look @ people's sig's from Cali and ask them if they passed. Good luck w/ picking the right cam.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Default Cam Specs on the 218/228,558 lift with 116, Worry Not!

I used the same specs. on my first cam, except I decided to stay a little closer to 115. (Comp Cams) Passed with no problems after the edit, used a sniffer. Remember part of the test is a visual check, the tech cannot see into the engine. The B.A.R. (Bureau of Automotive Repair, a Dept. of the BARs computer's) reads the incoming data, "basically for purpose of explanation," looks at the V.I.N. code, Hydrocarbons, CO & Oxides of Nitrogen and compares against set parameters based on V.I.N.(Other concerns are also checked, but none related to your question. If you went any lower than 114 you might cause a problem, can get a little choppy, going in that direction ,the hydrocarbons go up.(unburned fuel) Some people tend to say more than they should, then the tech might fail you. Just pretend your going through an IRS audit and offer no more information than your asked. Your cam choice is going to give you a wide power range, mostly under the curve. You will feel the difference in the seat of your pants. Make sure and install it with a dial, and a dual roller chain is wise. You might be surprized to see a degree or so off. Enjoy, it's truly a great cam choice.

Last edited by rickpoff; 12-23-2006 at 10:54 AM. Reason: clean up some typos