Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUPER NOISY Walbro 255 INLINE pump, need to QUIETEN

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUPER NOISY Walbro 255 INLINE pump, need to QUIETEN

My walbro GSL 392 is the loudest pump I have ever usd, this thing is almost as loud as a Holley BLUE.

I have it under the car near my rear lower control arm on passenger side, I have the insulator wrap on the pump, but I can hear it buzz over the engine noise and when the car is running in the carpark i can hear the pump from over 50ft away.

Can i just put more wrap and insulate it more or will that hold too much heat in the pump?

Also it is regulated to 58psi.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm on my 2nd walbro inline pump. The first one got real loud before it failed.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Convert to Intank. those are the two main reason many don't use inline pumps... Being Intank will keep the pump cooler and will outlast the inlines and also keep the noise down.
If you wrap it, You will have to do something to keep the pump cool, cause more heat will kill the pump quicker.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Pump noise is the reason I went with intank.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a louder exhaust Mine's on the inside of the frame rail right beneath the seat, and even windows down it's not an issue.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Intank is not an option as the pickup is mounted on the front side not top and the tank is only 7" Deep so I dont have the depth for an intank.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

People have used the Tanks INC with less than 7".. buy modify the setup.. (cutting down the bracket, not sure if that is advisable or not, would need to ask around more). but if you look at or serach for some of the people that are using the Tanks INc.. they have not only modified the pickup but also modified the tanks top.. and not alway putting it in the same location as the Original location of the pickup/sender.

Have you looked at swapping in a later model tank from a like car or configuration ? What about a Rick's or some other custom tank that they will fab up to your spec's with EFI baffle and pump ?

There is always an Option.. if there is a will there is a way..!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried to insulate between the bracket and the body?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

What I did with my old holley blue pump with my old engine setup is cut a piece of like 3/4 inch rubber hose on one side and lay it flat and use it as an insulator to run the bolts through. Seemed to quiet it down a bit.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
Have you tried to insulate between the bracket and the body?
It has the insulation between the mounts and body but its not vibrational noise, its just pure pump BUZZing noise.

The car has been built to look as per factory original body, tank etc. anything visable looks original, no alloy tanks or fabricated metal is visable from more then 1 ft away from car, its all neat and tidy and functional. I dont run pumps and regs in the trunk etc everything is under the car and legal in the land of Aus.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GTS346
It has the insulation between the mounts and body but its not vibrational noise, its just pure pump BUZZing noise.
I can't remember exactly what brand of pump it was but I think it was a Walbro in-tank pump I had in my '97 Z28 that was loud as all get out. After I put about 200 miles on it the thing started to buzz like crazy. With a Borla on the car and 3/4 open plate I could hear it while driving around and when I'd park the car I could walk like 50ft away and still hear it buzzing. I also had issues with when starting the car it took a while for it to start. The tank was at like 3/4 full to almost full when this was happening so it wasn't like I was running the tank low and the car only had 200 miles on it and I didn't run the fuel level low during the time period either.

I was running around 40 to 45 psi of pressure and the car ran okay once it was started. I worked with the place I got the pump at and they warrantied me another pump and when I put the new one in the starting issues went away and I could barely hear the pump after that. Haven't had any issues since.

That's my $.02 on it. I was scared the pump was about to go out and since I had just put it in and had only 200 miles on it that is why I went ahead and swapped it out again for it just didn't sound right and after I put the new pump in and it worked the way it should I'm pretty sure that other pump was just bad or defective in some way.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Mine would get loud intermittently, turned out there was a chunk of something rolling around in the bottom of the tank near the pickup. My best guess was that something was getting sucked up to the pickup and partially blocking off the flow. The pump didn't care for that one bit...
Old 01-02-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine's quiet, and holds pressure well when it's off. no complaints. walbro inline.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive had my tank flushed and checked it again a few weeks back and pulled the pickup out for inspection, all is good, but the pump is super loud.

I only brought the walbro as everyone said they are quiet. I might get another one and see.

Quick Reply: SUPER NOISY Walbro 255 INLINE pump, need to QUIETEN