General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Heat shields needed for new plug wires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat shields needed for new plug wires?

I just replaced the original spark plugs and wires on my '01 WS6 with MSD 8.5 wires and NGK plugs. I didn't really think about this as I was finishing the long, god awful install but is it necessary to replace the heat shields that come on the original plugs when installing new wires. I was messing around with it for a second and I tried to fit one of the heat shields over the end of one of the MSD wires and it fit very poorly so I am unsure if the new wires are designed to withstand manifold heat?? Can someone help me out because I don't want to climb back into my engine bay again quite yet but I definately don't want to melt the boots off of my new wires
Old 01-07-2007, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

ttt...
Old 01-07-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah those manifolds can get pretty hot, I would contact MSD and see what they recomend, I had to call them once as i burned a crank sensor wire on my headder once and they just mailed me a new one free of charge, they were pretty helpful. I would assume that they have an answer for this as im sure this issue has come up in the past, when they engineer these wires they look at the stock application and try to better it, or at least they should right, Im asuming they took teh shileding into account and feel its not necessary if there was no mention in their instructions or now MSD shileds available to pruchase, but thats just my $0.02
Old 01-07-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did the same thing: I called my dad over to look at my PERFECT install and he's like "cool, so you decided to not reuse the old heat shields?" I'm like, "you can take those OFF?!"

But, yeah, I took them ALL off again and put them on.

Then again I'm using GMPP wires so the heat shields fit on perfectly, I dunno about yours.....
Old 01-07-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have Red MSD wires and I replaced all the metal heat shields----mine fit fine.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

mine fit perfect on my accels
Old 01-07-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

they fit on my MSD cables, but i cant get the PS ones on yet, i need to more time to mess around.