Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s10 ls1 front brakes question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question s10 ls1 front brakes question?

i have a complete front end from a 99 f-body, i was wondering what will i need to get the brakes to bolt up to my 89 s10?

Last edited by jay's99transam; 01-09-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

2wd or 4wd? It matters.

'JustDreamin'
Old 01-09-2007, 03:36 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Hope its a 4X4, much easier.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Go to www.s-seriesforum.com check the chassis suspension section top sticky that guy Ed can help you if you want pm me and I'll give you his number.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the help, its 2wd. i hope i dont hit a wall with the brakes.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by firefighter
Go to www.s-seriesforum.com check the chassis suspension section top sticky that guy Ed can help you if you want pm me and I'll give you his number.
i checked the fourm and there doesn't seem to be any post. im not sure why that is. i'll pm you about ED.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 AM

LS1Tech 10 Year

2WD complicates it a bit, you need some type of hub. The blazers that are 2wd and 98+ have spindles with hubs. They are commonly referred to as ZQ8 brakes, but they are not actually part of the ZQ8 package. If you switch out the spindles you can hang the f-body rotors on them. Someone probably even makes brackets to bolt on f-body calipers as those spindles are a common starting point for brake upgrades on s10`sand g-bodies, I know that there used to be a guy on the www.montecarloss.com board who made brackets to hang 13" vette brake rotors/calipers on those spindles.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

jay you gotta sign up to see the posts. kinda stupid of them if you ask me but they have always been like that.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

jay you gotta sign up to see the posts. kinda stupid of them if you ask me but they have always been like that.

yeah i ended up doing that. thanks for the help. im gonna try and get everything i need before i start bolting stuff up.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G-Body
2WD complicates it a bit, you need some type of hub. The blazers that are 2wd and 98+ have spindles with hubs. They are commonly referred to as ZQ8 brakes, but they are not actually part of the ZQ8 package. If you switch out the spindles you can hang the f-body rotors on them. Someone probably even makes brackets to bolt on f-body calipers as those spindles are a common starting point for brake upgrades on s10`sand g-bodies, I know that there used to be a guy on the www.montecarloss.com board who made brackets to hang 13" vette brake rotors/calipers on those spindles.

thanks for the info.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just a thought... So if its way off base, I apologize. But... the older 2wd blazers use the same front hub/rotor combo as the 3rd gen f-body cars. Im almost positive about that.

You can machine the rotor part off, so that you are essentially left with just a hub with studs and bearings. Then the 4th gen rotors will slip right over them, and all you have to do is make a bracket for the caliper.

If the way that the caliper mounts is the same as a 3rd gen, there are companies that make a bracket that is ready to go. In fact, I just checked. An 87 Trans AM (my car) and an 89 2wd blazer use the exact same calipers in the front from the factory. Since they use the same calipers, and the same rotors....I dont see why you couldnt use the bracket meant for an LS1 brake conversion on an f-body.

If thats something you are interested in, let me know and I can help you track down the brackets and people to talk to.

Justin

P.S... Here is what the hub/rotor looks like after you machine it down. And another pic of what it looks like all bolted up. Again...that hub is actually a hub/rotor without the rotor part. The inner and outer bearings as well as the wheel seal are still there. Oh and longer studs have been pressed in to accomodate the extra thickness of the 4th gen rotor. You can buy these already made, as well as the brackets.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
This is just a thought... So if its way off base, I apologize. But... the older 2wd blazers use the same front hub/rotor combo as the 3rd gen f-body cars. Im almost positive about that.

You can machine the rotor part off, so that you are essentially left with just a hub with studs and bearings. Then the 4th gen rotors will slip right over them, and all you have to do is make a bracket for the caliper.

If the way that the caliper mounts is the same as a 3rd gen, there are companies that make a bracket that is ready to go. In fact, I just checked. An 87 Trans AM (my car) and an 89 2wd blazer use the exact same calipers in the front from the factory. Since they use the same calipers, and the same rotors....I dont see why you couldnt use the bracket meant for an LS1 brake conversion on an f-body.

If thats something you are interested in, let me know and I can help you track down the brackets and people to talk to.

Justin

P.S... Here is what the hub/rotor looks like after you machine it down. And another pic of what it looks like all bolted up. Again...that hub is actually a hub/rotor without the rotor part. The inner and outer bearings as well as the wheel seal are still there. Oh and longer studs have been pressed in to accomodate the extra thickness of the 4th gen rotor. You can buy these already made, as well as the brackets.

sounds like there is something to do this weekend. dont mind fabing up a plate for the braket. i gonna takle this on. thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Ed can make those too.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Ed can make those too.
i sent a pm to ed on the other site, hopefully i wont have to fab up anything.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ed can make those too.
Yes.... Ed can make them. There are two good places to get this stuff from. Ed is one of them. I had trouble getting ahold of him when I was ready to buy my parts, so I went with the other place. Not even sure what Eds prices are like. But he knows his stuff and will get you good parts.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Justin
Old 01-11-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

i was going to say what he just suggested...

its just like the 3rdgen..... just if you have ABS, let ed (or whoever) know, so they can make it from an ABS rotor... (only diff is the ABS one has a reluctor wheel in it)

you can read alot about whats envolved on the brake board at thirdgen.org
Old 03-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Teching In

I have a 2001 S-10 ext cab 4x2 with an 8.5" rear.

I rencently purchased a set of Front brakes and spindals from an 01 Trans Am and rear brakes from a 02 Camaro. I'm in on a GP for the E-brake cable on SSF and talking to Ed about the Hubs to work with my Belltech Lowering spindals.

Am I missing anything? Braided stainless rear brake lines maybe?

Last edited by hellcat1; 03-28-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

I built my own SS brake lines used Earls and Russel stuff.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

That's cool the way they made it work. However, would the end result be the same using the front spindles, hubs, and rotors from a 98 up 2wd blazer unless the rotors are that much bigger. I never measured the ones on my f-body it stopped great in stock trim.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:09 PM

LS1Tech 10 Year

The f-body rotors are 12" and the 98+ 2WD blazer rotors are 11".

Quick Reply: s10 ls1 front brakes question?