Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some general install advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some general install advice.....

Installer is ready to put the car back together- -'98 Trans Am- -and I was wanting to have some ideas thrown at me as to what I should do. I have recently had aftermarket heads, cam, and intake installed and was wondering what else I should do to the engine while it is "torn down". Also, I went ahead and had a new timing chain installed. I am really contemplating new rockers and possibly pushrods. Would I go with 1.7s??

1998 Navy Blue TA
~95,000 miles
M6, headers, etc....most of the usual bolt-on stuff....

Congratulate me....it's my first post..............
Old 01-11-2007, 02:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depending what "torn down" means.....i'd do either a ported ls6 or ls4 oil pump (i have a ported ls6), ls2 chain (i have a DR, but i think its overkill), get stock rockers rebuilt (well worth it), if u didnt do the PR's when u did the cam, i'd do them too........it all really depends how "torn down" it is?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No option on Pushrods, there a must. I had a candy caned pushrod just from stock motor on Revs. As for other stuff, if you have heads and cam, then i am assuming you got springs, retainers, timing chain(LS2 for the money), oil pump, and adding to that ,since it's waht you should have already, i say thin about easy bolt-ons, cause with these mods already, your motor is good for some outstanding street performance and more, so go Ported TB and LS6 if not already, AND TUNE TUNE TUNE
Old 01-11-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ROD BOLTS!!! That way she holds togather when your raise the rev limiter.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

read my sig and pick out the easy stuff to do now. Most has been listed so far.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys for the info. on my first post.... I didn't really have much time on first post...very vague, huh?!? Anyway, with the rockers, bear with my ignorance, I would, I suppose, stay with the 1.7s, correct??? What benefit do the 1.8s have??? Also, should I have them rebuilt (as cam101 advises) other than getting new ones?? Continuing....what's the best bang for the buck oil pump??

Hopefully, I will soon buil my sig, so that you can get a better feel from where I'm coming from.... Thanks, again!!