Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

worried about wiring.. any input?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default worried about wiring.. any input?

Hey guys, this is my first post, but I have been reading over the coversion forum for quiet some time now. It seems like a great group of people!

I've wanted to do an ls1 swap into an e24 bmw 6 series for a while and I know have the funds to do so. I want to stay with an earlier from the early 80's but it has to be a euro one. gotta love those euro bumpers

As far as the actual swap is concerned I'm pretty confident that I can do everything myself, but the only thing that I'm worried about is the wiring. I've never really done much wiring before, and I'm just worried that this will be the biggest challange. I don't need to have everything wired up though, This car will be a street/ track car, and will be pretty much bare bones. I want to keep it as simple as possible. Can anyone give me any input on how hard it would be to do the wiring? I know it's time consuming, and I'm not worried about that, but I just don't want to get it all wired up and then have it not run

thanks a lot - adam west
Old 01-14-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

then you should worry a lot. it is not that the wiring is tough and hard work, but you do have to know what you are doing. Putting a ls1 in any no ls1 car is NOT A SWAP. You are re-engineering the car. Have you ever pulled and changed motors before? If you have not dont' even consider this because it will be 10 times as difficult.

Sorry to dispell the great group of people comment but I am being honest. I have just seen to many people get in over their heads. And to many others encourage others to do what the cant' do themselves. I had lots of help and my own shop. Some other have done it in their garage. Anyone who has done it will tell you this should never be your virgin 'swap'.

good luck

Last edited by mullenh; 01-14-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

I can't help but disagree a bit with you mullenh. I agree an LS1 swap is no walk in the park but if somebody has good fabrication skills and automotive knowledge it can be done. The key would probably be the fabrication skills. Its my first swap and I am about halfway there and I haven't gotten the "over my head" feeling yet. However I do have experience with working on cars and engines and fabricating parts. I haven't run into any walls I can't fabricate myself out of yet. However, you may prove me wrong as I finish up my build.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Teching In

to add to pete (if you dont mind) you also really need to just read a lot and keep asking questions, sometimes they dont get answered. and as for your wiring question, id ask in the tech part and if nobody helps you there, Id call up/email the guys at speartech since they do the wiring and see if they dont mind helping you get the required wires/plugs you need to run the engine. and I think you can find the ecm wire assignment in one of the stickys
Old 01-14-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by M635dude
thanks a lot - adam west
batman?
If you can do the fab work you will have no trouble with the wiring.
here a link on what I did for wiring.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/99135-finished-my-underhood-wiring-harness.html

redmist did an e12 swap, he has pics of his swap in post 4 of this link
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=bmw
Old 01-14-2007, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

I also have to chime in with some encouragement. I'm a know nothing white collar kinda dude who does his wrenching at night. My problem is that I try things when others tell me I shouldn't. I make mistakes along the way and I learn from it. A few years ago, I put a carbureted SBC in a 280Z. It was a common swap and there was a book for it. I learned wiring the hard way, by myself. There's a lot more information with the internet now, and my projects got more difficult. The Z car got an Electromotive fuel injection system and twin turbos. I then ripped out the rotary engine out of my 93 RX7, and I'm putting a 427 LS in it. The swap is the most straight forward fuel injected motor swap I've done yet, as the LS series has a stand alone harness anyway. Get a reworked harness from Speartech, Painless, and others.

If I can figure it out, you can
Old 01-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Teching In

well this makes me a lot more confident, the first post scared the sh*t out of me haha, but I appreciate it.

I have done ton's of work on cars before, and worked for a mechanic for 3 years, and now I'm attending the Jim Russel Racing / Mechanical program for a year at Infineon Raceway. They have every tool I will ever need there, and the teachers are so willing to help me with things on this project. So I'm about 95% sure that I'm going to go with it. The hardest thing I think is going to track down the right car to start with

Gen3Benz - Thats almost exactly what I want to do. The only things that I want inside is a heater switch, gauges, and I think thats about it haha. This car is going to be very minimal, and will really be a sleeper. I plan to paint it using spray cans, or possibly some sort of matte black. But I figure a paint with no depth could look really sharp, and also be CHEAP!! lol. And the entire interior will be out except carpet, two race seats, roll cage, and custom dash. Here's a pic of the 6 series for those who don't know what they look like. I'll defenitly try to document this swap and will keep everyone posted on my progress. Thanks - aw

this pic was already p-shoped with tint and wheels that I would like to use.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

wiring is pretty easy on the ls1. i was going to get s/1 to rework my harness and after lookin at the stickies i done it myself. you just about couldn't ask for a more simple harness. i didnt take off all the stuff that people do thou. this was my 1st swap, put it in a 95 240sx. i cant lie and say i didnt go "WTF have i got myself in to" a few times. just ALOT of work.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:38 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was going to post up last night and reassure you that the swap was do-able for a first timer, but I decided to wait and see what everyone else said. When I did my 5.3L swap it was the first engine swap I had ever done it a car, but I figured my skills may have been a little advanced since I have spent a lot of time in the garage with my dad. I helped him build a kit-car when I was 8, I have been fabricating brackets for years, and I frequently take on projects that others have given up on, try assembling a jet ski engine after someone else disassembles it and throws the parts in a box in no particular order .

If the wiring is really the most difficult part for you there shouldn`t be any problems. The wiring seemed like the easiest part for me and I didn`t even have complete diagrams that were labeled. There is a lot of wiring info in the FAQ sticky, especially for the f-body wiring. Post #13 is mine and has lots of documents and links. There are documents that display the LS1 wiring in text and in diagrams. The motor side of the wiring is pretty well mapped out, it is just the car side that you have to figure out. If you have diagrams for the car you should be able to figure it out, if not don`t be afraid to post the diagram and a question.

You are not the first person to be trying an LS1 swap as your first.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
I can't help but disagree a bit with you mullenh. I agree an LS1 swap is no walk in the park but if somebody has good fabrication skills and automotive knowledge it can be done. The key would probably be the fabrication skills. Its my first swap and I am about halfway there and I haven't gotten the "over my head" feeling yet. However I do have experience with working on cars and engines and fabricating parts. I haven't run into any walls I can't fabricate myself out of yet. However, you may prove me wrong as I finish up my build.
please notice all the "if", the "but", the "it could be done", the "key", and the "However I do have experience" you included in your statement and also notice I did say 'virgin swap'. I do want to scare the guy a bit. For me the electric was a piece of cake, infact it was simple. The fabrication was pure fun. That would not paint the correct picture for a novice would it? Because I should include +100 years of experienced help a very large well equiped shop, and it is something we have done before many times. I do want to say I am glad yours is going well and I will bet yours works. "But" I also bet you have friends you can get help from. And now I see he includes some skill or training in a later post. I probably would not have bothered with my post. But you guys would not believe how many other people collect parts for projects the can't do and then they have the wrong parts on top of that.

Last edited by mullenh; 01-15-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Well, I had zero experience before my first swap. I have turned all the bolts on my swaps myself (I don't have a bunch of friends who have any desire to turn a wrench with me). There's so much information out there on the internet, that if a person just reads, asks questions, and just starts to get his hands dirty, he or she can do it. Like others have said, that doesn't mean that there won't be times when you say "what did I get myself into"
Old 01-16-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

just transfer all F body wiring. thats what i plan on doing. stock unmodified harness, stock fuse box, stock gauges
Old 01-16-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silicone boy
Well, I had zero experience before my first swap. I have turned all the bolts on my swaps myself (I don't have a bunch of friends who have any desire to turn a wrench with me). There's so much information out there on the internet, that if a person just reads, asks questions, and just starts to get his hands dirty, he or she can do it. Like others have said, that doesn't mean that there won't be times when you say "what did I get myself into"
what was your project and how long did it take you?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mullenh
what was your project and how long did it take you?
Projects listed above. The carbureted ZCar took a year or so because I basically rebuilt the whole car from suspension, to brakes, engine, etc. The twin turbo Z took a long time because of fabrication of turbo plumbing and life got in the way (working long hours for the career, spending more time with family, etc) . It took about three years. The Electromotive fuel injection was not as easy as I was hoping for. The current project started last month, a 427 LS into a 93 RX7. This one is easily the easiest, and as soon as my heads get here, I'll be done within a month. It's a combination of more comfort with cars and a well documented swap with off the shelf parts available. Pretty good for a know nothing white collar dude with no friends interested in turning a wrench. They all wonder why I don't just buy a Porsche. Answer: not fast enough.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Personally I think the wiring will not be all that difficult if you can read a wiring diagram and use a multi meter and a soldering iron (if not learn). There is so much aftermarket support. Defeating the anti theft measures and emissions can all just be bought.

For my first swap I did a nissan engine swap and had to incorporate many other electrical components just to get past the Anti theft devices. Not a problem with the LS1. Wires can be shortened and lengthened easily, routed just all sorts of ways to get to where they need to go. For my last swap clearances are the biggest issues. Wiring was time consuming but easy.

Quick Reply: worried about wiring.. any input?