Sponsored by:

TT408 - Which PCM to use??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question TT408 - Which PCM to use??

Hi everyone.

I am currently building a TT408 (LQ9 block, T70s) and I'm not sure which PCM I should use. I am using all new parts so I don't have a donor vehicle or any electronics yet. I tried the search.

Which PCM (year/model/engine???) would best allow me to tune my 408 when I attempt to start it. I plan on using either the LS1 Edit or HP Tuners program, but some of them are VIN locked and others year/model specific...so, I'm confused on which to use.

This is my first Gen III/IV buildup, so I am new to this. Sorry, if I am making this harder than it should be. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with HP Tuners if you buy it new, you get 8 credits... you can then choose what vehicle to license when you go to read it (you have the choice of selecting to unlock an entire year/make for unlimited use, or you can VIN lock to just your PCM for modifying just your vehicle)

As for which PCM to go with... I'd go w/an LS1 PCM (assuming the LQ9 bottom end is the same 24 or 26 pin reluctor wheel) since there's more support for them (custom operating systems, RTT, etc...)

If however the LQ9 bottom end uses the newer 54 or 56 (or 58?) tooth reluctor on the crank, you'll have to use a gen IV PCM