Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total Performance King-T "LSx vs. SBC1"

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Total Performance King-T "LSx vs. SBC1"

In the coming months my father (60 years old - soon to be retired teacher) is planning on building a Total Performance King T Roadster kit. While this came out of left field he and I are having varying opinions on the type of power plant this vehicle should have.

First, the King T is very small. Almost a 3/4 scale T-bucket and thus the primary kit is designed to handle a 2.2 Echo Tech 4-cylinder. There is an option for GM small block mounts for the engine and auto transmission.

I work and live in Atlanta and mom and dad are back home in Indianapolis, but I'll be helping with the build.

Dad: Has his heart set on a basic GM Performance Parts 350/290 crate engine. It is a bare bones long block for $1,600. The end user must buy his/her own intake manifold, accessories, headers, carb, distributor, etc.

I'm sorry. This just seems dull and boring to me. Sure it is a fine replacement engine but I just don't see much of a "power under the curve" advantage to this.

Me: I want to go LSx because it is lighter and I know the durability, relative simplicity and overall performance is far superior to the base GM Crate Engine. Likewise, I think I can build a Vortec based 4.8/5.3 engine for about the same price as the SBC1 he wants.

The weight of this roadster is very very low. Thus, I don't really want an LS1/LS2 or larger engine. Honestly, 400+ hp would be way too much for a car of this light weight.

He would like to steer clear of fuel injection, but my fear is the low hood line of the king T.

This is purely speculation at this point. Nothing has been ordered. But it would be nice to hear from some of the people that have swapped LSx's.

To me it would be unique to go the 4.8/5.3 route with either the GMMP carb manifold or even go fuel injection and LS6 manifold and LS6 cam --- the relative small displacement might give me more revs and thus a really fun car.

All opinions are welcome.

Very best,

Dustin
Old 01-15-2007, 06:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to go LSx because it is lighter.... I think I can build a Vortec based 4.8/5.3 engine...
if you use an iron block lsx, there's no real significant weight savings.

He would like to steer clear of fuel injection, but my fear is the low hood line of the king T.
To me it would be unique to go the 4.8/5.3 route with either the GMMP carb manifold...
hood clearance would still be an issue with a carb setup, so no real advantage in size with the lsx in that form.

the relative small displacement might give me more revs and thus a really fun car.
so who's the car REALLY for???

The weight of this roadster is very very low. Thus, I don't really want an LS1/LS2 or larger engine. Honestly, 400+ hp would be way too much for a car of this light weight.
in the end, as much as i like the lsx platform, it sounds like you've already made a great arguement to let him go with the engine he's picked out. good luck with the build either way.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Teching In

No, you see, that is the thing. I want to go Vortec 4.8 or Vortec 5.3 for the relative cost difference of a take out engine.

I'd happily go LS1 if I could find a complete engine for a reletively good price.

As I said, he's looking at a long block crate engine for $1,600 that is rated at 290hp. The user must supply most of the other major engine components. I have a feeling he will be well into the 3k range after a manifold, carb, headers, valve covers, accessories, etc are figured into the build.

Hahaha, yes, the car will be his. As I said, he is 60 and I'm an only child. He's always wanted to build a car with me. So this is going to be the car.

The more and more I look at the options, I may find a sutible take out LS1/4L60e combo with a computer and options for about the same price as he will need to spec out the Crate 350 and Turbo 350 trans.

Dustin
Old 01-15-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hang around for awhile. I also have plans to build one of these little guys, the TP "King T". I originally intended to use an Ecotec four banger but I will be putting the "almost stock" LS1 that I'm removing from my 1935 sedan in it instead. Since the LS2/L92/L76-415 inch stroker motor will give my big heavy sedan the torque I want, that sweet running LS1 346 inch motor should be perfect for a 2300 lb roadster. I will stay with the injection for a low profile hood-line.

......and hey!......I'll be 60 in March....us grey-beards love horsepower!!!

Last edited by Oscar Will; 01-15-2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 01-15-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how important this is, but a T bucket with a SBC, is just another T Bucket with a SBC. A T bucket with an LS motor is different and unique. Now I love SBCs, they are great but it is very hard to do something unique with them.

Just my two cents.

Pat
Old 01-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Teching In

I agree 100%. The LSx would be unique. Too many T-buckets have already been done with traditional SBC1's.

I will stick around.

Like I said. This car is going to be built. That is certain. It won't begin for about 8-9 months. But I'd like to have a good engine/tranny package put together on paper to show him the benefits of LSx vs. the traditional SBC.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Total Performance King-T "LSx vs. SBC1"