Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Injector lube?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:32 AM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Injector lube?

ive had my fuel rails off the car for a while with injectors on them, so theyve been sitting in storage i imagine the o-rings are pretty dry and they might have some build up fomr sitting around, whats the best what to lube these before putting them back to make sure they seal and flow correctly? ive heard motor oil and vaseline. any input apreciated.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:48 PM
9 Second Club

-I wipe wd 40 on them. But if they are dry just replace them. You will thank yourself later!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

motor oil or Vaseline
Old 01-17-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used vaseline on mine...seemed to work fine.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys ill try the vaseline im worred the injector might have some build up from sitting aroudn (dust ect..)techniques on flushing them?
Old 01-17-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Exclamation Dry o'rings may..

Originally Posted by lm7
thanks guys ill try the vaseline im worred the injector might have some build up from sitting aroudn (dust ect..)techniques on flushing them?
be the least of the problems. Gas, allowed to dry out in the inj bodies can/will corrode, and gum up the internals, making them inop.
Anytime they are taken off the engine, for an extended period, they should be shaken to remove the fuel, and a lube, such as WD, put in them, and then capped off, and put in a sealed baggie...

I use a mix of clock/gun oil, and Marvel Mystery oil in all injectors I clean/flow test at my shop.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:27 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

I know what u mean this crrosion is waht got my atention in the first place, who can i sned these to? to have cleaned? to see if theyre salvagable?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
be the least of the problems. Gas, allowed to dry out in the inj bodies can/will corrode, and gum up the internals, making them inop.
Anytime they are taken off the engine, for an extended period, they should be shaken to remove the fuel, and a lube, such as WD, put in them, and then capped off, and put in a sealed baggie...

I use a mix of clock/gun oil, and Marvel Mystery oil in all injectors I clean/flow test at my shop.
ive had my fuel rails off the car for about a month in order to have the injectors cleaned. i failed to seal them up to protect them from the elements, and i do live in a high-high humidity area. (wish i had looked into this one month ago.) anyway, i can see brown rust in each of the 8 openings for the injectors, not much more than there was when i took them off in the first place but is there anything i can do to clean them?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation That's usually...

Originally Posted by SaudeKeep
ive had my fuel rails off the car for about a month in order to have the injectors cleaned. i failed to seal them up to protect them from the elements, and i do live in a high-high humidity area. (wish i had looked into this one month ago.) anyway, i can see brown rust in each of the 8 openings for the injectors, not much more than there was when i took them off in the first place but is there anything i can do to clean them?
an indication the injs have/have had water in the fuel contamination.
If the rust is down, below the filter baskets, they may be junk.
Should be cleaned ASAP, as should the entire fuel system.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
an indication the injs have/have had water in the fuel contamination.
If the rust is down, below the filter baskets, they may be junk.
Should be cleaned ASAP, as should the entire fuel system.
the injectors were flow tested before and after they were cleaned and showed almost perfect results before the cleaning as well as after. they were also resistance tested and showed a good reading. im not sure what the filter basket is so it may be in no relation to the flow characteristics but would you explain further please?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by SaudeKeep
the injectors were flow tested before and after they were cleaned and showed almost perfect results before the cleaning as well as after. they were also resistance tested and showed a good reading. im not sure what the filter basket is so it may be in no relation to the flow characteristics but would you explain further please?
Your previous post indicated they had rust on the tops.. Were they found to have this after they were cleaned??
Filter baskets are the small filters that are in the inlet on an injector. They are removeable, and are replaced when the inj is cleaned.[At least at my shop, they are.]