General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Strange fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange fuel issue

I was crusing today on the highway about 65mph in 5th low RPM. Suddenly my car won't pick up speed. I put it neutral try to rev and it goes to about 3k and studders The engine wouldnt go past that. I let off and roll to a stop. The engine is bearly running now at about 500rpm and studdering like it is not firing on all cyl. Finally, it just turns off. I try to restart and it will only go on for a few seconds then turn off. I check to hear the fuel pump, it is ok. I checked oil and it was good. The fuel gauge indicated that there was little over 1/4 tank in the car. I had the car towed and we stopped at a gas station where I put $20 of fuel in.

Once at one, I started the car and it started then shut off again. Then it suddenly started revving at about 1500rpm but it felt like it wasn't firing on all the cyl. I taped the gas then the engine RPM stayed at 3000rpm. I shut it off. After about a min, I restarted the car and it was perfectly fine all of the sudden. No problems no hestation or anything. I have no idea what so ever what happened. My only guess is that I ran out of fuel and my gauge is wrong. Does anyone have any insight on this?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the whole pump assembly and floater in the tank might be going bad
Old 01-24-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A shitberg of sludge broke off in your fuel filter, clogging it temporarily as it passed through, moving on to your injectors.....sweet!