Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 Newbie questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 05:05 AM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TH400 Newbie questions..

Ok I have done a bit of searching but haven't found quite what i am looking for. I don't have the budget to do a 4L80E so i am copying a few RMVB 400 set-ups i have seen on here (Zombie, etc..) by doing a low stalled (2600-2800) and tall gear (3.08-3.23) in the rear with transbrake.
So...is the second gear braking necessary? This makes the car feel kind of like a 6-speed car when i let off in second correct versus rpms just dropping to idle despite the mph?
I have never driven a manual shifted 400 car so i don't really know what to expect. I do know i will be shifting up and down but do i have to come to a stop before going back into 1st? If i don't have any braking in the gears, what happens if i shift down to 2nd or 1st on the highway to do a pull? As long as i match the rpm's with the mph when i downshift i should be ok correct?

Anyone have some incar video of a manual shift 400 car?

Thanks for any help,

-Jarrod
Old 01-26-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

I've got a lock up/braked TH400 w/out engine(compression)braking and like it a lot. Lifting in any gear will allow the rpms to fall and be similar to a 6 speed car when engaging the cutch(or putting it in neutral).

I was told by my builder to avoid downshifting unless I've rpm matched the shift(rolling into the throttle during downshift), and I don't downshift when coming to a stop.

FWIW, with lock up engaged, when I lift at speed in any gear it will compression brake.

You can have the trans built with or w/o engine braking. I'm not sure, but I "think" a mvb can be built to do a rolling downshift w/out rpm matching, but could be wrong.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Turbo Addict

Thanks for the input.

I think you are right on the mvb downshifting but still looking for a video to see exactly how things go during normal driving.

What's ur best 60'?

Thanks again.