Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is synthetic oil required on these engines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 02:14 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is synthetic oil required on these engines?

I've been running synthetic ever since I bought my car with 103K. I believe the previous owner did as well because the engine internals are immaculate at this mileage. Well, I drive an average of 500-600 miles a week so $50 oil changes every two months is getting a little out of hand with the upcoming mortgage payment and current gas bill.

Its a 98 and my repair manual says nothing about synthetic being a requirement, I've just been using M1 0W-40 or GC 0w-30 based on what I read here and I don't have the Mobil 1 sticker on my inner fender. I know what I was getting into when I bought the car but I'm just curious if I can switch to Castrol GTX safely? I mean if I have to spend a few extra bucks for the extra piece of mind, especially with my current mileage (114K) I don't mind one bit, but I just ask since conventional oil goes on sale all the time where I work
Old 01-29-2007, 03:26 AM
10 Second Club

Synthetic is not necessary, but is highly recommended. FWIW you can go 5k-6k miles with a good synthetic, just change the filter and add a quart @ 2.5k.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
Synthetic is not necessary, but is highly recommended. FWIW you can go 5k-6k miles with a good synthetic, just change the filter and add a quart @ 2.5k.
especially if u use 0w-30 GC, like i do, i run mine to about 2.5k-3k and i clean my filter(purepower filter) and add a quart and take it 5k-6k. GC is a very good synthetic oil

and i thought i was the only one doing this heheh

Last edited by mcamarols1; 01-29-2007 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

motor will look spotless even using dino being changed at 3k
Old 01-29-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

If you look on a site with knowledge of oil like BobIsTheOilGuy, you'll see that most go 10k between changes with synthetic. I go about 6k, but change the filter every 3k and top off with fresh oil. No need to spend more money.

Oh and to really stir the pot: the Wal-Mart Super Tech full synthetic oil is just about as good as any. As everyone knows, the difference in oils is really negligible, and I think you'd be best with SuperTech synthetic instead of an expensive dino oil.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by N4cer
As everyone knows, the difference in oils is really negligible
Gotta disagree with that. Look up posts by "Patman"...last I knew he was the oil guru around here. All oils are not created equal.

Personally I use synthetic in all of my vehicles now. Usually Mobil 1 5w30 with Mobil 1 filter, sometimes the extended performance version. It's not the best, but it's the best of hte readily available and affordable oils...mostly a matter of convenince vs german castrol, royal purple, amsoil...

Good oil, good filter = cheap insurance.

Nothing wrong with dino oil, but a good synthetic is, simply put, better.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Second Club

Even Patman will be able to tell you that among the quality oils we choose from (I'm not running $.89 7-11 off-brand oil), the difference is absolutely unproven in the longevity of the car. Sure some test better than others, but other than an analysis sheet of paper, it means nothing.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 AM
10 Second Club

But how about YOU tell me what the difference will be other than the analysis. Because the paper means nothing if it doesn't correlate to a real-world benefit.

And for the record, I ran Mobil 1, currently running GC, and will in the future run Pennzoil Platinum. "Just in case."
Old 01-30-2007, 02:17 AM
Staging Lane

I use AMSOIL 5W30 and I change my oil once a year.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt

Nothing wrong with dino oil, but a good synthetic is, simply put, better.
good ole conventional has been around along time and will be around for years to come.

theres alot of studies out there reguarding the two oils. for every person that says synthetic is better, theres a person who says that isnt so.
while an analysis is all good and dandy on one guys motor, no two tests are alike. theres zero proof that using synthetic will make the motor last longer.
look at all the guys on this site alone that blew their motor while using synthetic.
my 1991 camaro rs that i sold last year had about 100k on the clock. while i blew the trans and rear end on the car, the motor held up. i beat on that car good for 15 years. never once did i use synthetic and the motor was fine.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by N4cer
As everyone knows, the difference in oils is really negligible,
True dat.

Just change it on time and keep it filled. Those are by great and wide margin the most important factors. Everyone with knowledge will tell you the same.

Finding the One True Oil and using it in their car is fun for some enthusiasts (me too), but it sounds like that's not your gig. Don't get wrapped up in it.