POS CME's!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POS CME's!!

i was gettin my cme installed at a local body shop and was supposed to get it back today and they just called me and said that the center connector between the two oval outlets broke during install and they had to have someone fix it and it wont be ready till tomorrow morning! i was all excited to get her back today too....by the way i had the first generation cme tips with only 1 connector between the tips, not the newer one that has two. I told them to reinforce the hell out of it so i won't ever have this problem again! sorry just wanted to rant....

and while im at it...this weather sucks! im in colleyville but im pretty sure it sucks this bad everywhere in dfw and surrounding areas
Old 02-01-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TEX02SS
i was gettin my cme installed at a local body shop and was supposed to get it back today and they just called me and said that the center connector between the two oval outlets broke during install and they had to have someone fix it and it wont be ready till tomorrow morning! i was all excited to get her back today too....by the way i had the first generation cme tips with only 1 connector between the tips, not the newer one that has two. I told them to reinforce the hell out of it so i won't ever have this problem again! sorry just wanted to rant....

and while im at it...this weather sucks! im in colleyville but im pretty sure it sucks this bad everywhere in dfw and surrounding areas
Sucks man but sounds more like they dropped it and broke it. Ive never installed one and got it about finished and then it broke.

They're gonna have to find someone that can weld aluminum. Chances are slim the shop that is doing the work has access to one. Most body shops sublet exhaust work out to a Muffler Shop.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a known issues that the tend to crack there...2 guys here in town had both that happen to them
Old 02-01-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea they were going to have an aircraft welder or something fix it...thats why its not going to be done till tomorrow....and he was going to gusset (sp?) it...i don't even know what that is but its supposed to be very strong after that.....guess we'll see....
Old 02-02-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

so now they get the cme tips put back together and the welder is charging me $120 for the '2 hours' of labor he put into it....am i gettin screwed?? i mean damn im in the wrong business. It seems to me that it should not have taken 2 hours...even if it is aluminum
Old 02-02-2007, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$120? I've had a lot more exhaust work done on my car for cheaper than that. Then again, I don't have aluminum in my exhaust.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Launching!

I wouldent pay for that since they broke it. You took your car there and had them do something and they couldent finish it.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea...after i pay the guy im going to ask him if i can have permission pull my pants up and stand up straight
Old 02-02-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by the_hunted
I wouldent pay for that since they broke it. You took your car there and had them do something and they couldent finish it.
they said that it had been broken before and it broke in the original place that it had broken before and someone had repaired it. I bought it slightly used so this may be true. i can't confirm or deny it....and these things do have a reputation for breaking but i dunno....
Old 02-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Launching!

IMO it's the shops responsibility(SP) to take care of the customer! I think they should have inspected it befor hadn and then quoted you on the install. I also dont think TIG welding take 2hrs. I dont tig but i do know how to weld, and something like that is not 2hrs worth of work.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh i forgot to mention, the exhaust guy (seperate from the other welder) is charging me $106 to install the CME. I originally had SLP LMII so all he has to do is remove old tips, make (2) 90 degree bends and then weld it up to the new tips. That one seemed like a lot more work and yet its cheaper. And i still don't think it was worth $106!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by the_hunted
IMO it's the shops responsibility(SP) to take care of the customer! I think they should have inspected it befor hadn and then quoted you on the install. I also dont think TIG welding take 2hrs. I dont tig but i do know how to weld, and something like that is not 2hrs worth of work.
aluminum has to be very clean. I could see 2 shop hours worth of labor on something that took an hour to get clean, weld up and then gusset it. Not to mention maybe fabbing up the gussets. What do you guys expect? Its a SHOP doing this.

I know Id have charged $100 just for the labor to cut and fit the bends and weld it all up. Didnt you take the bends to them? ANother thing you have to consider is the old loudmouth is stainless and id bet they arent using but aluminized crushed bent pipe to connect it. Did you not look at the tips before hand? At least mine would have been stainless!!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
aluminum has to be very clean. I could see 2 shop hours worth of labor on something that took an hour to get clean, weld up and then gusset it. Not to mention maybe fabbing up the gussets. What do you guys expect? Its a SHOP doing this.

I know Id have charged $100 just for the labor to cut and fit the bends and weld it all up. Didnt you take the bends to them? ANother thing you have to consider is the old loudmouth is stainless and id bet they arent using but aluminized crushed bent pipe to connect it. Did you not look at the tips before hand? At least mine would have been stainless!!
No I did not take the bends to them. They are fabbing up everything.
Mike, i know im an idiot for not going to you lol. I would have, but as I explained, I wanted to get it all done at once. Now im paying for it...literally!
Let this be a lesson to all of you out there....give your car to mike!

im SUPPOSED to get it back this afternoon...can't wait to see it....except i might not be able to afford the gas for the drive home at this rate!! If you see a guy pushing a NBM camaro with a freshly painted CME in north richland hills chunk up the deuce!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TEX02SS
No I did not take the bends to them. They are fabbing up everything.
Mike, i know im an idiot for not going to you lol. I would have, but as I explained, I wanted to get it all done at once. Now im paying for it...literally!
Let this be a lesson to all of you out there....give your car to mike!

im SUPPOSED to get it back this afternoon...can't wait to see it....except i might not be able to afford the gas for the drive home at this rate!! If you see a guy pushing a NBM camaro with a freshly painted CME in north richland hills chunk up the deuce!
No sweat man. We all have to go through times like these.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i got it back...looks badass....and even sounds different although it could be mental.....
Old 02-02-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

get some pics I want to see it
Old 02-02-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
get some pics I want to see it
in the process right now!
Old 02-02-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

I'm waiting for mine. But the problem is I purchased these in late DEC and still haven't received them. I hope I don't have that problem. I'm anxious to see them.