Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJ Emissions Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NJ Emissions Requirements

I was just wondering if anyone knew the emissions requirements for New Jersey as I am looking to trade the Z in there and I need to know if they are going to have an issue with my ORY and long tubes. I am probably going to end up pulling the LT's off anyways, but then I would need to pick up a set of stock manifolds and a Y pipe w/ converters. Thanks for your help
Old 02-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you NEED cats in NJ. they check for them.

longtubes my be illegal, too. i'm not sure if they allow your cats to be relocated from the factory position. i live in NJ, but i don't have longtubes, so i've never gone through the inspection process with them. i can just tell you if you don't run cats, you will fail.

has anyone gone through STATE (not private) inspection in NJ with longtubes and a CATTED y? and did you pass?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

PLEASE PEOPLE...CHOCO..You cannot have LT'S in N.America [ EXCLUDING MEXICO ]....on an Emission Equipped car..Legally.....you cannot move the cat's...PERIOD.

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 02-05-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^don't emissions laws suck? technically, you can as long as you're registered as a classic car, but then you have driving time restrictions

has anyone passed state inspection in NJ with LT's and cats?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

I have to go through for the first time in August since headers were put on....gonna put cats on...OBD testing only as of 2007...a few people I know have gotton through..last year when they did the sniffer still also...they are not even checking/caring...as long as cats are on and no codes.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
I just passed re-inspection 3 weeks ago with race ready QTPs and their catted-Y.
As long as you have cats you should be fine, I'm sure they have no clue exactly where the cats are supposed to be.
I saw they 'check' for my cats. They use a long stick with a mirror on the end, doesn't seem an effective way to check to me.

Anyway, I failed the first time for a not ready code regarding my EVAP.
LS1Edit fixed that for me.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

I went through the DMV in eatontown, which i'll never do again because they let the car just sit there and idle and get sooo hot, and the guy who got in was fat and left a black belt mark on my camel seats. But i didn't see them check for cats, no sniffer either. They just plugged their computer into the port and checked for codes. My cats don't even look cats, No heat shield and they're no more than 3.25inch in diameter(i have a 2.5" y-pipe). So if they checked, i doubt they would have even thought they were cats and failed me.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
technically, you can as long as you're registered as a classic car, but then you have driving time restrictions

you can be registered as a collector car too, which my camaro is. you can only go 6000 miles every two years.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
I went through the DMV in eatontown, which i'll never do again because they let the car just sit there and idle and get sooo hot, and the guy who got in was fat and left a black belt mark on my camel seats. But i didn't see them check for cats, no sniffer either. They just plugged their computer into the port and checked for codes. My cats don't even look cats, No heat shield and they're no more than 3.25inch in diameter(i have a 2.5" y-pipe). So if they checked, i doubt they would have even thought they were cats and failed me.

they dont seem to bust ***** there like they used to.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

They definitely check for cats with the mirror underneath. Most of the inspectors don't know where the correct location is for the cats and as long as it's OBDII and doesn't have any codes or not ready status then it will probably pass 99% of the time. But it's still technically not legal anywhere in the US. If you're planning on selling or trading your car then most of the small corner lots couldn't care less because they won't offer a warranty to the next guy anyway. A real dealer might not take the car if they notice longtubes and no cats.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:25 AM
Staging Lane

OK, thanks for all your help guys, I will go ahead and put 'em back on. Down here in NC, They don't even check codes, A safety inspection here consists of checking lights, wipers, horn, and tire tread depth. Thanks Again