Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rearend seal leaking ... help need to fix this weekend (off work!! lol)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default rearend seal leaking ... help need to fix this weekend (off work!! lol)

ok people i got a rearend seal leaking the seal where the drive shaft mates to the yoke ... where's the best place to get a replacemenet seal i plan on marking everything so i can put it back where it was at but i heard you have to tighten the nut alittle tighter than before is this true? what do i need to look out for when taking apart and putting this back together ? if i dont/ do have access to a torque wrench what do i do when tightening ???? let me know thanks
Old 02-06-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody??
Old 02-06-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to check preload you will need a beam type or dial inch lb torque wrench, the click type won't cut it.. Anyway go to the parts store and get a seal and some red loctite. Mark the nut before removal and tighten it about a 1/4 inch or less past the mark when you put the new seal on. Make sure you lube the new seal.

You can use a large pipe wrench to hold the yoke when you take the nut off. This job is going to suck without air tools. I doubt the yoke will slide off with ease, if you look at it close it has flat spots where you can put a puller on it and get it off, or use a brass hammer etc..

I would take out the carrier and check your bearings if you have more than 50k on them. I had to replace all six in my F-body at 58k, they were seriously pitted.

FWIW a solid pinion spacer seems to help the leaky seal syndrome on these cars.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good advice but thats a lot of unnecessary work for a pinion seal, just mark the nut

-Edit-

found the link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/645993-pinion-seal-replacement.html

this will help

Last edited by alamantia; 02-07-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

So tighten the nut just alittle more than where the original mark was made but not too much right ??