Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Drilled round hole in door jam???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilled round hole in door jam???

Ok everyone, lets see who has the best answer for this one. A guy on the ceta website, bought this t/a over ebay from a dealer. Now that he has received it, he is finding tons of signs of the car being severly modded and switched back, NOS ect...BUT, what the hell is this hole from????????
Old 02-12-2007, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That hole is from a paintless dent removal, they use it to put the tool behind the panel to remove dings. Since you said it looks like it was modded quite a bit it may have been used to fix dimples in the quarter from hard launches at the track.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:21 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Trust
That hole is from a paintless dent removal, they use it to put the tool behind the panel to remove dings. Since you said it looks like it was modded quite a bit it may have been used to fix dimples in the quarter from hard launches at the track.
Yep, the plug must have fallen out. For the dimples, the dent repair guy could have gone in from the back (behind the hatch speaker panels) and not had to drill any holes
Old 02-13-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Yep, the plug must have fallen out. For the dimples, the dent repair guy could have gone in from the back (behind the hatch speaker panels) and not had to drill any holes

I have seen them go in from the back like that
Old 02-13-2007, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the responses. I agree with everyone, I seem to think its dent work, but it must have been pretty bad as they could fix just about anything from behind the speaker. To drill in the door, it would be obvious to anyone that there was work done.

Any other signs to tell how bad the damage is, other than taking the wheel off and looking for new parts? The car was received from the shipper with no spare tire, no ashtray, no front cowling in front of radiator, NOS bottle plate holes in spare tire well, diff. cover has fresh rtv leaking from it, whole induction is original but looks like it was found in junkyard and pieced together, and of course this hole. He is still finding things daily, and is going to get it inspected soon. Any other signs to look that is was modded???
Old 02-13-2007, 10:09 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

--Subframe connectors (or signs of them)?
--Aftermarket exhaust (factory exhaust was welded together and hung before the rear axle at the factory)
--AIR missing? (look from underneath of car in front of driver's side front wheel)
Old 02-15-2007, 04:47 PM

Gezz, Im Glad I Didnt Buy My Car From Ebay.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UNDERCOATING....its the only way to get into that panel. And BTW, that is the only panel(rear 1/4 on both sides) that are metal, the rest of the body panels are composite. Mine has the same sort of hole(with plug) from the dealership.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where did the car come from?
Old 02-15-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
--Aftermarket exhaust (factory exhaust was welded together and hung before the rear axle at the factory)
You can pretty much un-bolt the entire exhaust with out cutting or re welding. The y-pipe can be unbolted from the i-pipe, and with some jimmying you can get the muffler, i-pipe and tips off in one piece. Same with the stock y pipe and manifolds.

Originally Posted by asuperdave
Thanks for the responses. I agree with everyone, I seem to think its dent work, but it must have been pretty bad as they could fix just about anything from behind the speaker. To drill in the door, it would be obvious to anyone that there was work done.

Any other signs to tell how bad the damage is, other than taking the wheel off and looking for new parts? The car was received from the shipper with no spare tire, no ashtray, no front cowling in front of radiator, NOS bottle plate holes in spare tire well, diff. cover has fresh rtv leaking from it, whole induction is original but looks like it was found in junkyard and pieced together, and of course this hole. He is still finding things daily, and is going to get it inspected soon. Any other signs to look that is was modded???
Sounds like it was pretty modded, although that doesn't mean its crap, just not what it was sold as I guess. The hole may just be there from a door ding getting repaired, I only said qtr dimples because you said it was modded and it seemed to flow. Is it a 6-spd? Does the clutch feel different (firmer) than a stock clutch? Y2K TA pretty much nailed all the modded signs, but also look in the rear fender lip to see if it has been rolled to make room for taller tires, and thats about all I can think of. Good luck
Old 04-27-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

i noticed for the first time mine has the same plug and only on the drivers side
Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

In "Rustbelt" territory, it might also be for inserting the "rustproofing" wand for application. In other areas of the Country, this stuff might be sold as "sound deadener"...

Quick Reply: Drilled round hole in door jam???