View Full Version : corvettes overated and fbodies underated article

1cleanbird
02-16-2007, 01:15 AM
There is an article autoweek or autotrader did back in 98' about the corvette being substantually overated and the f-body being underated. it was posted on here but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where it is??

Revelation Z28
02-16-2007, 01:31 AM
f-body has always been underrated.

CJDZ24_Z28
02-16-2007, 09:32 AM
No matter what F-Bodies have the most hideous interior ever and i think that is where most critics started ripped the car in other areas after. I just realized how ugly the interior is even though this is my 11th 4th gen:jest:

spy2520
02-16-2007, 09:39 AM
i believe that article was in GMHTP, i just saw it, i'll try to find it...

spy2520
02-16-2007, 10:08 AM
my bad it was hotrod magazine: http://www.dark-earth.net/images/proofofpower.jpg

1cleanbird
02-16-2007, 10:33 AM
thanks appreciate it.

mycamaroSS
02-16-2007, 01:12 PM
yea they underrated fbodies so that people wouldnt buy more of the fbodies than the corvetts..being that the only difference in performance was the weight

kdstang
02-16-2007, 01:27 PM
yea they underrated fbodies so that people wouldnt buy more of the fbodies than the corvetts..being that the only difference in performance was the weight

To my understanding, it was more to keep the Corvette crowd from getting pissed off. I would get pissed off too if I paid 40,000 for a car that has the same engine as a car that cost 25,000.

Killemall
02-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Yes they did have the same engine..But a 200 pound weight advantage as well as better handling...a 10 mph higher top speed due to better arodynamics and a nicer interior/exterior is what you were paying for....

The c5 speaked for it's self in volumes. It is the best selling premium sports car in history and lasted from 1997-2004...The Fbodies..While having a awesome engine..Just didnt have the staying power looks and interior wise.

As well the C5 always clipped off 0-60 mph in 4.7-5.0...While the fbody was in the 4.9-5.2 range. 10 years ago 0-60 mph times sold cars...Not 1/4 mile times like more and more people are caring about nowadays.

dixonk
02-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Engine performance might be the same but features, stability, and handling is apples and oranges on these cars. The corvette is just packed with nice little luxuries, e.g. telescoping steering wheel, suspension damping, HUD, dual climate zones, etc. etc. etc. Having owned both I will say the corvette definetly deserves its overrated attention.

1cleanbird
02-16-2007, 04:33 PM
I just wanted it cause I have a friend that was wanting to know if the ls1 had 350ish at the crank and I wanted proof.

98 Formula
02-16-2007, 06:09 PM
I think the F-Body was everytime underrated!
I love my F-Body more than a Vette because its an great underdog :devil:

In germany many people know some things over he Vette (power,how fast,how much money)

When i drive to a gasstation the most people doesnt know what is it for a car or how fast it can go :)

I tell him that it drive like a Vette,it had the same Power+2 seats more and costs a half from a Vette :)

Then i hear mostly an oh wow great car we need this in germany :jest: :chug:

'Trust'
02-16-2007, 06:29 PM
The Fbodies..While having a awesome engine..Just didnt have the staying power looks and interior wise.

I mostly agree with you except for this statement. I don't quite understand what you mean. If you mean that the F-bods didn't 'stick' I think this site is more than enough to counter that.

kdstang
02-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Engine performance might be the same but features, stability, and handling is apples and oranges on these cars. The corvette is just packed with nice little luxuries, e.g. telescoping steering wheel, suspension damping, HUD, dual climate zones, etc. etc. etc. Having owned both I will say the corvette definetly deserves its overrated attention.

Very true, I personally think the corvette is well worth the money when you take the handling, build, etc into consideration.

However, everyone knows how car guys are, most of them only think abou the engine and how much power it makes, and to tell most of the "I-bought-a-corvette-as-a-status-symbol" guys that their LS1 covette has the same engine as a firebird/camaro and they'll probably give you the evil eye and curse your firstborn.

1cleanbird
02-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I think the F-Body was everytime underrated!
I love my F-Body more than a Vette because its an great underdog :devil:

In germany many people know some things over he Vette (power,how fast,how much money)

When i drive to a gasstation the most people doesnt know what is it for a car or how fast it can go :)

I tell him that it drive like a Vette,it had the same Power+2 seats more and costs a half from a Vette :)

Then i hear mostly an oh wow great car we need this in germany :jest: :chug:
man I love seein f-bodies in other countries. If I live in Germany I would def. have a f-body for a daily driver.

AmateurRacer
02-16-2007, 06:52 PM
HAHA! that translation is hilarious!! "cost half from a vette" I wouldnt mind running my car on the greatest road ever. Awesome.

98 Formula
02-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Ok my translation is not the best,but you understand what i say :)

Have fun :jest:

mycamaroSS
02-16-2007, 10:27 PM
To my understanding, it was more to keep the Corvette crowd from getting pissed off. I would get pissed off too if I paid 40,000 for a car that has the same engine as a car that cost 25,000.
that too :jest:

Steve68
02-16-2007, 10:36 PM
I love to have a cammed and slammed FHC, I looked at the new body style of the F body when they first came out, I couldn't stand that the roof was crushing me feeling, but I really like the look of the C5

INMY01TA
02-16-2007, 10:39 PM
No matter what F-Bodies have the most hideous interior ever and i think that is where most critics started ripped the car in other areas after. I just realized how ugly the interior is even though this is my 11th 4th gen:jest:
:confused: Well thats your opinion. I think the interior on the LS1 4th gens are nice. Go look inside a foxbody Stang sometime. :barf:

SHINER
02-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Back on the subject.

C5's and fbodies dyno the same unless your running a Z06.

The only thing vettes have going for them is craftsmanship, weight reduction, and aerodynamics....and also looking mean as hell.

Genesis_26317
02-17-2007, 07:51 AM

Ditto except that at one point the Z28 was around only $22.5k, talk about a steal.

JEB99TA
02-17-2007, 08:02 AM
I remember when the first 4th Gen F-Bodies first rolled out and dyno numbers started coming in well above the advetised horsepower numbers. The 'vette owners werecalling some FACTORY FREAKS ... as more and more were dyno'd stock and picking up great numbers there were actually a handful whcih really were fitting of the term, however, most dyno'd 15-30 RWHP which equated to nearly 350 at the motor. I wish I could take more weight off my car without losing sound quality ... squeaks and rattles are somewhat embarrassing, thoug. The 'vettes have a stout tranny and rearend, so you have to spend less money on them to make them fast and hold the power. A lot of F-Body owners eventually go the Corvette route, but, me .... I'll never give up my T/A.

And my next car will be a Z06. It will remain stock and my 1999 T/A will be an all-out racer ... for now, it gets me groceries ... :)

01pewterbird
02-17-2007, 08:09 AM
^^aren't the trannys the same, just diferent gearing?

Genesis_26317
02-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Yep pretty much!

Now the rear-ends are EXACTLY the same, just completely different.

The F-body is the all out drag race car due to the ease of the 12-bolt or Ford 9" rear-end swap.

Now the Corvette dyno's a bit different also because of the heavier IRS compared to the feather weight 10-bolt. You slap a 9 inch on their and it'll drain a bit of power.

DrkPhx
02-17-2007, 10:26 PM

In 99 when I first took my bone stock TA to the track, I was running consistent low 13's. Then I lined up with a 99 C5 M6 and he only beat me by .15 two runs (we hot lapped) in a row. Nobody believed me the car was bone stock including him. He just said, "I missed a shift." so I asked him "Two times in a row?" and he just walked away.

ChocoTaco369
02-17-2007, 10:31 PM
was the f-body underrated? oh yes, definitely.

was the corvette overrated? no, the corvette was simply rated properly.

engine dynos have to be done to post horsepower. they have to have proof, so they really can't overrate them. they can, however, underrate them all they want.

Ell Ess Won
02-17-2007, 10:33 PM

My car doesn't have any of those options (Z51 FRC) and it's still lightyears ahead of the fbody and I love every bit of it. Truly an amazing sports car for the money and imo competes with some exotics in looks, speed, price, and potential.

The only thing vettes have going for them is craftsmanship, weight reduction, and aerodynamics....and also looking mean as hell.

ya...only... :jest:

keliente
02-17-2007, 10:34 PM

Why? A vette is an entirely different world from an f-body, whether it shares the same engine or not. The handling, the interior, all of the nice amenities it comes with...

I think the whole under/overrated thing is stupid...who cares. Want to know what the car makes or runs? Dyno it. Track it. Who cares about factory ratings anyway.

SmaknaSS
02-17-2007, 11:01 PM
No matter what F-Bodies have the most hideous interior ever and i think that is where most critics started ripped the car in other areas after. I just realized how ugly the interior is even though this is my 11th 4th gen:jest: My F bod has leather seats, leather interior doors, leather wrapped steering wheel, etc. What is so hideous about that?! I like the interior and looks in my SS. :)

darcar1
02-17-2007, 11:09 PM
All of the vette owners should be happy that they put an fbody engine in the vette. That is why they are fast. :jest:

Ell Ess Won
02-17-2007, 11:12 PM
All of the vette owners should be happy that they put an fbody engine in the vette. That is why they are fast. :jest:

yes because we all know the 97 Trans Am/Z28 came with the standard LS1. :jest: :gtfo:

00Corvette
02-17-2007, 11:27 PM
I would say that the F-body's were definitely underrated but after driving quite a few F-body's and now owning a C5...for the money, the C5 is hard to beat!
I'm talking about the car as a package not just horsepower...hydroformed frame rails, IRS, forged aluminum suspension components, even weight distribution, gas mileage, interior design...and not mentioning the look of the car! The SS and TA's do look nice but my no means as exotic or eye catching as the body lines on the vette.
The F-body's were definitely underrated when it comes to performance for the dollar though also...
Anyway just my 2 cents on the subject lol,
Donnie

Genesis_26317
02-18-2007, 05:17 AM
The Corvette never had EGR.

Argh, EGR how I hate you... that's why I sold my 1999 (that and I had no place to park it anymore). I moved to an emissions area and despite the exhaust being clean they had to have the part on the car.

Oh how I hate you EGR!!!

kdstang
02-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Why? A vette is an entirely different world from an f-body, whether it shares the same engine or not. The handling, the interior, all of the nice amenities it comes with...

I think the whole under/overrated thing is stupid...who cares. Want to know what the car makes or runs? Dyno it. Track it. Who cares about factory ratings anyway.

To answer this, I'll quote myself from a previous post here:

However, everyone knows how car guys are, most of them only think about the engine and how much power it makes, and to tell most of the "I-bought-a-corvette-as-a-status-symbol" guys that their LS1 covette has the same engine as a firebird/camaro and they'll probably give you the evil eye and curse your firstborn.

Of course, I think the corvette is entirely worth the money. Compared to other sports cars, its probably the bargain of the last decade. Car guys' brains are wired differently, they want something "more" as in "engine size" if they are going to pay about $15,000 more. Proof of this is found in the current baby boomer muscle car craze, the bigger the power, the more its worth.

True enthusiasts, who know and appreciate what the vette is all about, realize the whole package is what matters.

Benjamin Russick
02-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Corvette- true sports car that can also tear up the dragstrip
F-body- boulevard brawler, cheap to make fast and handles well enough to be fun

The engines are basically the same with the Corvette getting a minutely different cam spec. The solid-rear in the F-body is more efficient, but the Vette has a better exhaust set-up. Bone stock a Corvette should be a couple of tenths quicker because of the weight difference, better contact patch and aerodynamics. However, the LS1 F-body is the new 5.0 Stang insofar as being inexpensive, easy to make fast and developing a loyal following.

I love both and have one of each...

spy2520
02-18-2007, 07:15 PM
The engines are basically the same with the Corvette getting a minutely different cam spec.

only differing cam specs i have ever heard of are between ls1 years, not f-bodies and vettes...

darcar1
02-18-2007, 08:22 PM
yes because we all know the 97 Trans Am/Z28 came with the standard LS1. :jest: :gtfo:

I hope you realize that it was just a joke and I know the Vette had it first. I also think that the C5 is one of the best looking Vette's made. I was looking at them along with the TA's since there is only about a 5k price diffrence. Just always had TA's and I have one brother with a vette and another with a 03 mach 1 so I had to switch it up a bit. Either way both cars are fun to drive, get looks on the street and have plenty of horsies to get us in trouble. :)

thosewhohatedmecreat
02-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Corvettes are amazing veicles, but so are the fbodies, ive seen fbodies blow corvettes off the street, hell, bone stock id take on corvettes in my old convertable 1995 z28 and guess who won? me. we were neck and neck really, but he was too afraid to scratch his car, i paid 6k for mine, he paid 60k for his, and we both had about the same power... tahts one thing that the fbodies have that the corvettes will never have, way more bang for the buck. 1998 camaro - 10k. 1998 vette- 30k engine? ls1. tranny? t56. also, to you vette owners out there with your stock vettes sayin they are faster cuz they are lighter, come and weigh up against my 98 z. i promise im lighter :)

but dont get me wrong, i respect vettes, they are cehvy made, they are the brother of the camaro and ta, lets not be dissing each others cars here comparing them, we know the corvette is overall a better car, thats what you pay for! i just cant afford a vette, so i got the next best thing, a camaro! its fun as hell! my friends camaro is getting modded to have 1200 hp, he has the money to buy a vette and do that, but he likes camaros handling better than a vettes, having driven everything froma 1969 camaro to a 2006 z06, its a hard call. i love vettes, and camaros... ugh. im happy with my camaro though, till i get $$ to get a vette, im gonna smoke stangs and ricers with my camaro, most people in hawaii dont know wtf a camaro is, they see my car and are like wtf that thing looks badass, everyone knows what a vette is there, i kinda like that element, ricers dont know what they are up against, stang owners dont know, its great..

Benjamin Russick
02-18-2007, 08:52 PM
only differing cam specs i have ever heard of are between ls1 years, not f-bodies and vettes...
There is a chart somewhere on this site that lists all the specs. The Vette did get a slightly different cam up until 2001. I'll see if I can find/post it...

LSfast1
02-19-2007, 11:17 AM
My F bod has fake leather seats, fake leather interior doors, fake leather wrapped steering wheel, etc. What is so hideous about that?! I like the interior (although it is cheap) and looks in my SS. :)

fixed your post. f-body's have some of the worst interiors for a car in their price range. (talking 4th gen) id take a vet over f body any day

Genesis_26317
02-19-2007, 08:14 PM
fixed your post. f-body's have some of the worst interiors for a car in their price range. (talking 4th gen) id take a vet over f body any day

Oh no you din'unt...

:eek: ...oh yes he did!!! :eek:

I can't believe it, you are a traitor!

You sold a TA for a VOLKSWAGON!!!!!

BTW I loved my Z28 for the world but my Scion xB has a better fitting interior, though the Z28's driver seat is much more comfortable to drive in.

The materials are the same quality and whatnot it is just how they are formed and fitted. The F-Bodies paint is a lot stronger and better applied than my lunchbox lookin' xB.

The fake steering wheel in my Z28 was sooooOOOO much nicer feeling than the steering wheel in my xB and I liked the feel of it more than the wheel in my Z06.

PowerShift408
02-20-2007, 08:11 PM
You've seen F-bodies blow vettes off the street? Cool... I see Hondas blow fucking Vipers off of the street. Who cares?

You raced someone and beat them because they were afraid to scratch their car? That makes ZERO sense

Who paid 60k for a Vette? Either they got ripped or you're an idiot. Who's still paying 30k for a 98 vette? You can pick them up all day for less than 20k w/o even looking hard.

Why would you even brag about your car being lighter than a Vette... Who cares. I'm curious to know what you did to lose about 350 lbs.

Corvettes are amazing veicles, but so are the fbodies, ive seen fbodies blow corvettes off the street, hell, bone stock id take on corvettes in my old convertable 1995 z28 and guess who won? me. we were neck and neck really, but he was too afraid to scratch his car, i paid 6k for mine, he paid 60k for his, and we both had about the same power... tahts one thing that the fbodies have that the corvettes will never have, way more bang for the buck. 1998 camaro - 10k. 1998 vette- 30k engine? ls1. tranny? t56. also, to you vette owners out there with your stock vettes sayin they are faster cuz they are lighter, come and weigh up against my 98 z. i promise im lighter :)

but dont get me wrong, i respect vettes, they are cehvy made, they are the brother of the camaro and ta, lets not be dissing each others cars here comparing them, we know the corvette is overall a better car, thats what you pay for! i just cant afford a vette, so i got the next best thing, a camaro! its fun as hell! my friends camaro is getting modded to have 1200 hp, he has the money to buy a vette and do that, but he likes camaros handling better than a vettes, having driven everything froma 1969 camaro to a 2006 z06, its a hard call. i love vettes, and camaros... ugh. im happy with my camaro though, till i get $$ to get a vette, im gonna smoke stangs and ricers with my camaro, most people in hawaii dont know wtf a camaro is, they see my car and are like wtf that thing looks badass, everyone knows what a vette is there, i kinda like that element, ricers dont know what they are up against, stang owners dont know, its great..

Ell Ess Won
02-20-2007, 08:31 PM
I agree with PowerShift. your sig quote FTW.

PowerShift408
02-20-2007, 08:39 PM
I agree with PowerShift. your sig quote FTW.

Haha I had to put it in the sig man, it's so funny, yet so true.

Genesis_26317
02-21-2007, 12:31 AM
F-bodies always have a much higher chance of being more moddified than a Corvette. Why?

I'll tell ya why, their parts are half the price, they don't have to worry about raping their IRS, and you can utterly thrash the car and put it back together in one weekend.

I mean I took out the ENTIRE interior of my Z28 and put it ALL back together in one-and-a-half days. That is track sesson friendly if you ask me. They come apart like legos which is perfect for a radical build.

You can slap on a 9 in, tub it, put an adjustable set of shocks onto her, take off the front sway bar, run a 250 shot of nitrous, a 4200 RPM stall and have fun all day at the strip.

Then...

You can put that sway-bar back on, put your handling wheels back on, and then take'er to track the next day.

All of that is fairly cheap for a pretty crazy build compared to a Corvette.

The Corvette just can't take the abuse because replacement parts are double the price (I'm talking IRS here people).

At the same time though the Corvette will rape a F-Body on the track build for build price for price while it still has a stock interior and nothing but a set of Bilstein's and some used Z06 sway-bars.

Both cars are equally fun in the end though, hands down they both are worth every penny compared to a POS Celica. I mean even a Miata is loads of fun if you race in your own class.

JEB99TA
02-21-2007, 06:00 AM
wow...i think ive made up my mind, i want my black ws6 back! those pics were amazing! anyone wanna buy my vette haha! Im in complete nirvana; speechless

From another post, but, same reason I got rid of my 'vette a few years back ... want my bird back and I got 'er. Corvette's are most of what everyone says ... just personal, preference for me.

spy2520
02-21-2007, 02:02 PM
thin about it is people who dont know are pretty surprised to see an f-body beat a vette, ever...while if you beat an f-body with your vette, you arent impressing anybody...