Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shifter removal help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shifter removal help

I need to add some fluid in and I can't seem to get the shifter off of the tranny itself. I removed the 4 bolts holding it(Pro 5.0) and it won't budge. I'm not forgetting something am I?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is a fill hole in the trans itself. jack the car up and it is the higher of the 2 pluggs. one for drain and one for fill.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

rtv sealant.....mine was a pain too. but there is a fill hole crack that open and fill it until it starts coming out
Old 02-16-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

I tapped mine lightly from underneath the car and it broke loose, but it sounds like you're trying to do yours without going underneath. I don't know if I'd fill the transmission from the shifter hole since it may overfill. The fill plug is somewhat in the middle of the transmission and you're supposed to fill until it starts to dribble out of the hole. Filling from the shifter is the highest point and it may be difficult to determine where the proper level is located.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah I am trying to do it from inside the car. I know all about the fill hole but I was trying not to go underneath this time. I appreciate the input fellas. Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just the silicone/sealant holding it on. Just take a box wrench, large screwdriver, or equivalent to pry the base off.

Use the edge of the trans tunnel as the fulcrum point and place the tip of your prying tool under the edge on the base of the shifter. You may need to place a block or handle of something at the fulcrum point to get the necessary height to pry. At the same time your prying, use your other hand to put pressure on the stick and base in the direction your prying.

It takes a good bit of effort, but it'll "pop" off.

Originally Posted by MrEddie
The fill plug is somewhat in the middle of the transmission and you're supposed to fill until it starts to dribble out of the hole. Filling from the shifter is the highest point and it may be difficult to determine where the proper level is located.

Last edited by SSmokin 01; 02-17-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It actually very easy to fill from the shifter port. The ONLY prob. is not dripping oil inside the car. Just dump in 4qts and you're golden. It will drain into the sump of the trans easily. As to getting the shifter off, the RTV can have quite a grip. With the 4 bolts off, do several high energy shifts( may want to put the handle back on for more leverage) and it should break loose.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

Well I did it inside w/o taking the shifter off. I took the fill plug out(so yes I had to get under it) ran about a 2 & 1/2 foot section of rubber hose down to the plug from the inside, and filled it that way. Took about 10 mins, no spillage either. But it was low, it took a quart and a half of royal purple. Glad I decided to check it.

Quick Reply: shifter removal help