Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine dies after TC install

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies after TC install

Installed a new Vigilante 3200 TC and now everytime I put it in gear or come to a stop, my engine stalls out. This wouldn't happen with my old Yank 3000. I have LS1 edit and have tried raisng idle in gear but it didn't help. I even played with the the idle air flow tables a little but wasn't real sure which range to adjust. Any suggestions?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

sounds like the lockup clutch is stuck on does it fel like a maunal that you forgot to push in the clutch?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-20-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's what I though at first. If I SLOWLY come to a stop, it doesn't happen. But almost everytime I put it in gear it shuts off. I just got it back from PI, I had them re-stall it from 2800 to 3200, so I really don't think the lock up clutch would be stuck and it's not an instant shut off but a gradual one. I had a lock up switch installed and when I would forget to switch it off, it would INSTANTLY shut the engine off as soon as I put it in gear.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm. It could be caused by installation problems. Check seals, leaks etc. before going to the effort of dropping the trans. Also, get someone to log the TCC slip RPM. That will tell you straight away.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yes I would agree look for disconected or broken vacum lines and wires first ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-21-2007, 08:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the tuning platform you have. Do an RAF assessment first off. See what is needed and give it to it. After that I'd have a look at the throttle follower table, it's delay, and it's decay values. The TF will hold the IAC open a bit (or more, depends on the values you use) and then when the DELAY period is up, the decay begins which lets the idle settle back down. Make sure the Throttle Cracker table doesn't have any of those weird OEM holes that whack out the IAC. While you are in there don't forget to set your misfire tables high so things lockup like they should.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frost
Use the tuning platform you have. Do an RAF assessment first off. See what is needed and give it to it. After that I'd have a look at the throttle follower table, it's delay, and it's decay values. The TF will hold the IAC open a bit (or more, depends on the values you use) and then when the DELAY period is up, the decay begins which lets the idle settle back down. Make sure the Throttle Cracker table doesn't have any of those weird OEM holes that whack out the IAC. While you are in there don't forget to set your misfire tables high so things lockup like they should.
Absolutely correct! You have less rotating weight on the engine now, which adversly affected the stock idle tuning in a negative way. Much like installing a cam, you will need to recalibrate the idle parameters for the stall converter.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks a lot guys, I'll be trying these adjustments this weekend.