Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coated Pacesetters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coated Pacesetters?

Anyone ever have a problem with the coated race style Pacesetters rubbing a hole in the oil filter? Bought them new and they've been on the car for about a week.

Called Pacesetter and the guy I talked to told me to get a smaller oil filter than stock? :wtf: That was his only resolution.

He also mentioned something about the motor mounts. Since when do the motor mounts have anything to do with how close the collector is to the oil filter?

I asked him how this could be resolved and he told me that I would have to send the header back to them and they would put it in the jig to see if there were any problems. If they found something they would send me a replacement. I said cool, what's the address. He says, I'm not giving it to you until you send me proof of purchase.. :wtf:

Sending him proof of purchase isn't a problem I just don't understand why he was being such an ***...

/rant
Old 02-28-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I use the larger truck filter on mine and have no problems. Send him proof of purchase and be very nice. If you are making a big deal they may just lose your stuff. That sucks, most people have had very good results with their headers.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Launching!

sounds like they dont have the best technical support. I have them on my 95 Trans Am and I havent had any problems.

knock on wood
Old 02-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Yeah.. I guess I just got a bad set.. I've installed 4 different sets of Pacesetters on LS1's and this is the 1st time I've seen this kind of clearance problems.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Ok.. Here's some visual evidence that something isn't right with the header.. I was wrong about it being the collector, it's actually one of the primaries...

Old 02-28-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Wow sucks to see that, with how well the pacesetters fit.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

call pacesetter and email them the pics
Old 03-01-2007, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

it's a little more difficult to pull the filter with the lt's, but wow!!! that's not good at all.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Why are you using a FRAM- they are one of the worse filters to use. It wouldn't matter if you had a smaller filter on there or not it would still rub. I would e-mail them and put a link to this post so they can see the pictures and the positive exposure they are getting.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Never had a problem with the Fram..

I've been corresponding with the "Service Manager"

Here's his latest:

Steve thanks for the pictures, do you have a picture showing the actual hole in the filter?

I will need to check a header here in the fixture to make sure everything checks out, we currently have pieces out being coated so it will be approximate 5-7 days before I have one to check.

Also you said the engine was just rebuilt? What type of oil pump was used?
He seems to have picked up where he left off yesterday.. Trying to find something wrong with the car..
Old 03-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Teching In

fram is the worst kind of filter, alot come from the factory with the bypass valve inop, so it will never filter
Old 03-01-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't see how his choice of oil filter has anything to do with why the headers are rubbing the filter. Something is way off whack with those headers fitment unless of course the motor has shifted somehow and I highly doubt that has happned. You said the motor was rebuilt so its been removed. Did you have the headers on the car before you pulled the motor and if so was this problem evident before?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98LS1auto
I don't see how his choice of oil filter has anything to do with why the headers are rubbing the filter.
THANK YOU very much!!!

Originally Posted by 98LS1auto
Something is way off whack with those headers fitment unless of course the motor has shifted somehow and I highly doubt that has happned. You said the motor was rebuilt so its been removed. Did you have the headers on the car before you pulled the motor and if so was this problem evident before?
Yes, the motor was recently rebuilt. Before and after the motor was pulled I had painted Hooker Super Comp LT's and no there wasn't a problem with those.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

must be a bad bend in that primary mine is nowhere near the oilfilter you can easily slide your hand between the header and oil filter."get a smaller filter"what a retard.ive used fram filters since i started driving never 1 problem fram is one of the top names in quality.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Holy crap...I've never seen something like that before.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Well, day 3 on this dilemma and I still haven't received a, "Oh, we're sorry this happened. Go ahead and send us the header and will get you fixed up with a replacement."

Really, sucks because it’s my daily so I can’t afford to wait 7-10 business days for Pacesetters to get a header back from coating and test fit it into the jig. Then if they "discover" something is wrong with their template, it will take another 7-10 business days for them to receive my header, and yet another 7-10 business days to send me a new one.

What’s test fitting a different header in their jig going to show anyways? If the header they test with isn’t mine, then it will probably not have the defect.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:49 AM
TECH Regular

You "might" have better luck dealing with the vendor you bought them from. And not trying to be an *** but, you might want to read up on "FRAM" filters. Good luck either way.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:33 AM
Teching In

You runnin after market heads? How did the y pipe match up to the collector? Looks like someone got their dick stuck in the jig at the factory while bending the primary's. Looks to me you have a special set of headers with an oil preheater. If nobody is going to help you out, company or seller of headers I suppose you could ding them to keep from rubbing. But your still going to have a oil pre heater going on there. An oil filter relocation kit is an option too. Best bet is get them back to where you bought them. The oil on the headers makes them look like **** too. I feel for ya. Lot of coin for so much grief.

Here is my advice... Call and ask if you can ding the pipe and get a filter on because you need this as a daily driver for work. See if they buy that and still will exchange for another set. If no? Ding the filter. Screw it on. Mark where it will rub. Take it off and give it a bump where you marked it. won't take a big bump. BTW, go to napa and get a napa gold filter. Napa is the best for about 6 bucks. Fram went down the ******* on oil filters a few years back. I still run the fram on my junk cars cause I like the little grippy thingy on the bottom. and there cheap. But on my nice **** I go with the gold. Stacey

Last edited by NEW 2 THE F BODY; 03-03-2007 at 06:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-03-2007, 01:25 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like he's giving you the runaround. Where did you buy them from?

I've never seen this, but it looks as though the y-pipe may be pulling the header over toward the oil filter. What kind of y-pipe is it? Pics of it installed? Was it a bitch? I'd hate for you to find out that it's NOT the headers. The motor mounts won't have **** to do with the motor/oil filter spacing, because the headers are BOLTED to the damn motor.

Check out the K&N filters, they may be just a hare skinnier than the Frams, and may help, but it shouldn't be doing that regardless. I run the K&N 2006 on my car, it's the longer truck version, boosted my oil pressure a bit.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds to me like you just got a bad set. Mine fit fine. Plenty of clearance. I use the larger K&N filter hp-2006 and have had no issues. That guy must be an idiot to say use a smaller filter. It might be shorter but the diameter wouldnt be any different.