Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam, stock converter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam, stock converter?

Possibly looking at throwing a cam in my '01 LS1/4L60. I don't really wnat to swap the converter out and am not looking to make an absolute dragstrip stormer. The car remains on street tires at the track anyway. The car currently has a good flowing intake setup, and pacesetters with true dual exhaust. I would be swapping out the 3.08's to 3.73's with the cam swap to make up for any loss in low end. The car weighs in at ~3650 with me in it as well. Anyone have some good suggestions?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any cam worth its weight is going to need a stall to perform the way it should. A stall will not only give you more off the line but it makes up for the rpm dropoff between gears.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by germeezy1
Any cam worth its weight is going to need a stall to perform the way it should. A stall will not only give you more off the line but it makes up for the rpm dropoff between gears.
I sure don't want a stall that's big enough to make up for the RPM dropoff between gears. Like I said, this is a street car (hell, it's my one and only daily driver...) so I'm not interested in tooling around town with a slipping converter. Been there and done that with my old 400/Th400 combo, and it was only a 2800 stall. Performance between that and an 1800 stall was very negligible if even detectable. It would blow the tires off either way. Not looking to raise the shift points or rev limiter if at all possible either to try and preserve the drivetrain.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Noone? Wow. Definately on the larger side for my application I think, but where does the popular 224 114 cams idle at?